Buck limping

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ashlynn, Jun 29, 2020 at 7:21 PM.

1. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Buck has been limping for about a week. When I first noticed it I gave extra selenium. That did not do anything. Today I tried to clip his hooves. They were not overgrown, but I figured I would trim them down in case of something being stuck in there. He would not put up with me touching the leg, so I will keep trying to trim it down. Nothing seemed to be stuck in there based on what I did trim though. Didn’t appear to be responding to any specific spot. Simply wouldn’t let me touch anywhere on the leg. Does not appear to be inflammation. Is still eating pellets/hay/minerals and drinking. After eating he will lay down flat on his side and make me think he is dead every time. Very lethargic, but will get up when I approach him. What else should I do? Thinking about antibiotics, but want to try other things first.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Is he bearing any weight at all on the leg?

That's very concerning about laying flat out often.

Is he a healthy weight? Good FAMACHA score? Can you post photos of him up and down?

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    When just standing there he does not bear any weight on the leg, but he will walk on it to get to food, water, or to run away from me trying to touch his leg. He is a healthy weight and his famancha is good. Can get pictures tomorrow. Also am going to try to take his temperature.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Poor guy, I don't have a guess for you. Fingers crossed

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    bruised led pulled mussel or tendon is about all that is left

7. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    He is doing much better today. He did not lay down flat and is acting more himself. Continues limping when walking, but puts it down when standing still.

toth boer goats likes this.