Buck Management

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by speeddemon, May 8, 2010.

1. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I was told not to keep bucks with does. Does this mean IN with the does or near them? All my pens are right next to eachother so they would be able to smell and see eachother but not touch. Is this acceptable? Also, can pregnant does be allowed out with bucks?

2. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    I've been told never to let pregnant does in with the bucks. The hormonal changes drive the bucks crazy, and they will try to mount the does. It could cause damage to the babies.
    My two pens are next to each other. As long as they're sound and the bucks can't escape, that's not really a problem.

-Tina

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If your pens aren't to where...they are able to fence breed .....they should be OK....
    It is wise.... to separate the bucks from the does when preggo... :wink: :greengrin:

4. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    No, they definitely can't have any physical contact whatsoever through them. And I'll just keep the boys inside when the girls are outside and vice versa.

One more question, will a boer buck be safe outdoors overnight in a pen made of these gates...(not my place, just pulled the pic off google because that is what my outdoor pen is like). We do have coyotes that come right up to the barn and house and have killed several good sized dogs and my neighbor's goats. Just not sure how to protect them. The does are inside all night.
    http://image03.webshots.com/3/7/3/44/28 ... KGl_fs.jpg

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am getting an error when I click on it.... :(

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /3/7/3/44/28670344AHvHpzbKGl_fs.jpg on this server.

6. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Weird. Its just like a big green gate. Really sturdy but I'm now sure on safety keeping them outside :/

7. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    the buck will try to mount an already bred doe, possibly damaging babies. and the does will smell buck-y. if you are milking then the milk will smell and taste buck-y. some people get used to the flavor and smell and i think this is one reason that people who dont have goats say they stink and the milk is gross.... well, more for me then ;D

8. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    If the coyote can get through or over the panel, it is obviously not safe. I plan on putting up some sort of wire fencing with my stock panels.