Buck mineral?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by critterhavenfarm, Sep 28, 2009.

1. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    Hey guys...

What do you use for a mineral for your bucks? I prefer a loose mineral, and currently use Sweetlix Caprine Milk Maker for my girls. I'd like to use a loose for the boys, but so far all I can find is a Billy Block at the feed stores. I've never had urinary calculi in my boys and don't want to ever have it. What do you use on your boys? I currently have 4 adult breeding bucks and 2 bucklings. Right now they are all on open browse daily and good timothy/orchard hay every other day. They look okay, but I just want to get a jump on the winter season when they will be without browse. Thanks in advance....

Susan

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I use the Sweet Lix Meat Maker loose minerals for the bucks- they also get a small amount of grain that has ammonium chloride in it and Ive never had a problem with them (and we have a lot of bucks :roll: )

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

My bucks got free choice orchard mix hay. As well as free choice purina goat mineral. Being in Washington i had to keep an eye on copper and selnium. They got treated at the slightest sign of either. And got a Bo-Se shot once a year. I lso gave them about a cup of orchard pellets twice a day, mixed with some ground flax seed. Their coats looked just as good as my does.
    beth

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    any goat mineral a buck can have -- check the ingredients on the billy block - you will find its the same just lacking in selenium i Think it is.

If you want a mineral with AC in it get Southern State's Top Choice. Its already "built in" :thumb:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My boys get the same as my girls.....Golden Blend from Hoeggars and I add 1 lb of ammonium chloride to 25 pounds minerals for them.

If you already have plenty stock of minerals, you can get a 2# bag of ammonium chloride from Hoeggars and mix it into the boys ration.

6. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    Oh..that's an idea...! Thanks!