Buck not acting “Bucky”

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CHARLES GREER, Jul 20, 2020.

1. CHARLES GREER

CHARLES GREER Member

Aug 6, 2018
    I have a 15 month old Nigerian buck that is fully intact but does not smell like a buck. Dosent have a beard and the only thing Ive seen him do since I put him with the does back in may is put his nose in their pee stream and curl his lip. But I’ve never seen him mount any of them! What the heck is going on!!

2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Where are you located? If it’s extremely hot during the day, most of the action is probably going on at night or extremely early in the morning.

We once had a boer buck that I never witnessed breed a doe. He had a 100% success rate lol. We still have several of his daughters.

As for no beard, that is a little strange. Did you raise him or buy him? The breeder could’ve shaved his beard.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. CHARLES GREER

CHARLES GREER Member

Aug 6, 2018
    I bought him as a bottle baby last year.but what is strange he dosent smell like a buck just smells like one of the does.

4. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    It’s still quite early in the season, so you may need to wait until September/October for him to go into full rut. Boers are technically aseasonal breeders like NDs, but they are most successful in the fall when breeding season is in full swing.

Is his scrotum normal sized? Does his plumbing all look normal? Does he have a good quality free choice mineral? It’s possible that he’s simply a dud. However, I think it’s more likely he just isn’t quite ready yet. I would give him time and maybe have a vet check him out.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

He's only 15 months old. Wait till he is 3. While they are year round breeders, they can be seasonal if weather is too hot or cold. If you just put him in with females to live, more than likely you won't see breeding. Unless of course you are with them 24/7. When you think about there are 24 hours in a day, how many hours are you with them?

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The does are all already bred since he has been there since May.

Post some photos of him so we can assess for mineral deficiencies which contribute to virility.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

He looks fine from that picture. Like I said, unless you are living with them 24/7, you probably won't see the breedings happen.

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great advice.

He is a cutie. :)

9. CHARLES GREER

CHARLES GREER Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Thanks! Im really hoping he will breed my does he is polled,moon spotted, and blue eyes,he has it all! I am really wanting to see his offspring.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    He looks copper deficient - possibly zinc too but I would need a closer look.

Zinc usually leads to low libido and infertility ;)

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So can copper deficiency.

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member