The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with something like this! I have a 2 year old Nigerian Dwarf buck who has ZERO interest in my does. I had planned on using him as a yearling but thought that maybe his lack of interest was because he was too young. Unfortunately as a 2 year old nothing has changed! He is overly friendly and really loves humans but will not perform! He is in rut and is mostly exhibiting all the normal "bucky" behaviors but he just seems clueless with the does?
Currently I am making sure he is up to par with all of his supplements and all of that but I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this and how? How does one train an adult healthy buck that he is supposed to LOVE does???
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Do his testicles appear large, plump, and evenly shaped?

What do you offer for minerals?

Could you provide photos of him from all sides?

Tell us more about how and when he has been exposed to does. Is he put in with them for month at a time? Any other bucks around? Do the does bully him?

·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He appears healthy in every aspect! We do Sel/Vit. E monthly, copper bolus every three months, and they have free choice Manna Pro minerals and vital herbs. He gets high quality grass and alfalfa. I'll try to get pictures soon once it's daylight.
We exposed him to several does in heat (one at a time) for several hours and he showed no interest in them. He has now been in with one doe for over a month and lives happily with her but.... nothing. He is not bullied by the does or even the other bucks he lives with. So confusing!!
Part of me is wondering if he just needs to be in the breeding pen while we breed another buck and doe? Maybe he could learn by example?
I'm at a loss because he has some incredible genetics that we could really use in our gene pool but I don't want to have to turn to AI with a healthy young buck!

·
8,197 Posts
Yes, put him in with a buck actually doing the breeding. It sounds dumb, but some bucks really have no clue.

I have the grandson's wether in with does. The first time he saw a buck breed a doe (one of his friends) he was astounded. You could see surprise on his face. Anyway, after the buck was out of the pen, he jumped on a doe. He didn't know what to do, so he just hung there. Eventually, he learned the doe's would slam him if they were not in heat. Some bucks just need taught. If my not so intelligent wether can learn, I'm sure your boy (who has to be more with it than my ding dong) will learn quickly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts