The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm at a loss here.

One of my junior bucks started obsessively (and I mean OBSESSIVELY) began rubbing his head on everything he could tonight. He's rubbed the hair off of his poll, and started rubbing it bloody. I tried to distract him, but he'd run off, shake his head, and go back to rubbing. He had a slight (very slight) foam at his mouth, he was so focused. There is nothing near their pen or in it that they could have ingested.

So we caught him and did a full inspection; no bugs, anywhere on him, no bites that we can see (not many critters out either with the temps dropping). He started maybe two or three days ago really rubbing at stuff, but pretty much EVERY buck I've ever had will rub on things.

I know some bucks can get really super worked up if does are in heat, but I even walked my boy over by the girls and no one was flagging. I didn't see any other outward signs of heat, though I'm pretty sure a couple were cycling not that long ago.

We put some hydrocodone cream on his head (made him stand around while it soaked in), gave him injectable benedryl and a little bit of banamine. We figured maybe it was one of those things where you itch at something and it gets worse, so you itch more, and it becomes a bad cycle. I made sure he just stood there for an hour and a half letting the cream soak in and he calmed down. When I came in tonight, I peeked out and he's still scratching at his head with his foot.

What the heck??? Any ideas? :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I got to look at his head before he went and started rubbing it bloody - no signs of bites or cuts or anything :( No bugs on the skin, stool is good, rumen is fine, nothing in his ears or eyes or nose. His head is apparently just really itchy.

He's back out there rubbing it on the fence and I just do not know what to do. I know some of my other bucks will rub their heads a little bloody when the girls are in heat and they're rutting really hard. Maybe he's really agitated because of the hormones going around?

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
My bucks do the same. I think it's normal.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
My Bleu (nigerian) does that too....My other boys dont do it but are in together (all standard breeds)..I wonder if they are bored or restless...my big boys bug eachother all day .....?? When we had buck kids in with Bleu we didnt notice him doing it as much as he does not that he is alone in his pen..

·
8,483 Posts
They rub their scent glands on things, much like a deer rub- Lets the girls know they are available!
Even if you burn off the scent glands when they are disbudded, they still will rub. Some more so than others!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UGH, I was without net for a while - sorry folks!

Also, thank you so much for the responses! He stopped the obsessive rubbing by the next morning. I've had bucks rub and get aggressive with each other during rut before, but I haven't ever had one rub his head bloody with that much vigor before (mouth foaming, head shaking). He's fine now, but looks like a monk because all the hair is gone from his poll :p

SIGH! Leave it to the boys to keep me on my toes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.