Buck opinions?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NubianLover, Mar 22, 2011.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    I am going on a small road trip tomorrow to look at some goats. I am hoping to find a couple does and a buck from this farm. These are just a few photos I have recieved and was wondering if I could get some opinions since I am still learning.
    The one is only 6 months in the photo. He is actually a little older than that now. The other 2 are still only bucklings and twins. All three have great milk lines and show lines. I don't have any other photos from the person other than these.
    Thanks for any opinions :)

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first thing I look at is "do they have a brisket? and how is their rear angulation?"

I cant tell from any of the photos if they have a brisket though :( the angles of the photos either on purpose or just how she was able to snap a photo really dont show the front end of any of the bucks real well.

As to the rear angulation the spotted one actually has some which is nice to see. He might be a bit steep in the rump but not overly so. At 6 months he is still very much growing so he looks short bodied but it could be the picture or angle of the picture.

Of course the brown kid looks nicer then his brother due to the one picture but I dont see any advantages or disadvantages to either of them.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They look good to me too...as mentioned the picture angles aren't the best.....the brown boy... in the middle ....stands out to me.... :wink:

4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Not only do you need to look at the bucks but you need to look at their dams....
    When I am looking at bucks for herd sires, if their dam isn't something I would like a whole herd of, then I pass on the buck. :) Those photos are not good confo shots...To get a good judgement of them, we would need to see rear, side, & front shots. :)

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I'm not a nubian person to judge (though the middle buckling does look thicker than the others and seems to have a better confirmation at quick glance), but I LOVE the spots on the older buckling! :love: If it was all about color, he's got it all. Very flashy, imo.

6. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    My understanding is that Nubian character includes the taller hindquarters, and a bit of a steeper butt because of it. Also, should have sharper withers than the Swiss-type breeds. Ears are ideally long enough to touch the nose or longer -- in adults. Of course babies tend to have ridiculously long ears! :)

The spotted buckling is older -- that makes a difference. Is his chest deeper than the others, or is it just a difference in age?

I'm new at this, and not sure what the rear-leg angulation means. Could you explain ?

Which goat did you pick to bring home? :)

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you dont want taller hindquarters you want a the withers to be higher then the reare and for them to have an "up hill slope" from the rear to the withers.

Rear angulation is the leg set of the rear legs from the pins to the hocks.

8. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    You don't want a steep rump. And I agree with Stacey on the withers. They should be upstanding, not butt high with a steep rump or short ears...ears should be past the nose. :)

9. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I'm no expert, but the second buckling [brown one] stands out to me the most overall.

10. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Well,
    I actually went with a completely different buckling than either of these three. I think I made a good choice (hoping I did anyways....) I will show you pictures as soon as I get them from the breeder. I spent 2 hours looking at papers and the goats, etc.