Buck or no Buck

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rebelshope, Sep 22, 2008.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Let's see where to start. .. I have own Cheyenne, a pyg for about 2 years. I decided I wanted to make goat milk soap, so I will be getting two nigi does. Wanted a dairy breed that was similar in size to the pyg. Anyway, I chose two does, and had them bred right there at the breeders. I am very excited about all of this. Well, the breeder is offering me a great deal on a blue eyed nigi buck. My question is this. .. should I get a buck?

I know that in order to get kids next year I will have to re breed them, which will require a buck. I don't know anyone around here that does stud services. I am not sure about AI. I don't know how to do it, so I don't know how expensive it would be for the whole process.

If I get a buck now, even for a discounted price, I will still need to house and feed the lil bugger all winter. And I currently I only have three does. I don't know how many if any kids I will. Do I really warrant a buck?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I always tell people that even if they think there are no breeders around them THERE ARE!

as to if you need a buck or not ---- probably not. The buck will need a buddy so that is yet another mouth to feed. You will need a separate pen and shelter. oh and bucks stink to high heaven this time of year.

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    How do I find them? I have found people who breed nigi around here, but many are concerned about the spread of disease and don't want a strange doe to come to their farm.

And if they are not that concerned about the spread of disease, do I want to take my doe to them?

I know some are not as concerned about CAE. The farm that I am getting my does from is CAE free. I would like to maintain that if possible.

I figure that if I have a buckling this spring I could wether that for a buddy for the buck.

I am not sure about the smell.

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    If your does are already bred this year for kids next spring I wouldn't get the buck. I mean he'd just be another mouth to feed all winter and not be of service till the next fall. So I would pass. She (the lady you bought your Nigi does from) may have another discounted buck next fall or even consider letting you breed your does to her buck(s) then.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know how you feel -- was in that same boat. But through calling this person to ask they sent me to another person who I went to their place and was happy etc. I brought the buck to my place and he bred my does.

THen I went to some shows and this girl was like "oh yah you can use my buck, just bring her here" and another was like "they can come but they leave that day" etc

so people were willing

6. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Unless you also go through the trouble of verifying that the stud buck is from a tested, disease free herd, every time you use one, you risk your entire herd.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I think that was one of her fears that she mentioned.

It isnt one of mine as I dont test currently

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Honestly I would go for it. I know what you mean about no breeders in the area. We have like 2. I know there's a couple others, but I would NEVER buy or do stud service from them. You can always keep him awhile and then sell if he's not right for you or if you come across something else. You might not be able to come across an oportunity like this for awhile so i'd go for it if you like him.

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Here he is:
    [​IMG] not a very good pic.

10. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I would really think of the need of a buck now-if they are all bred-what is the use of feeding him through the winter unless you REALLY like him-Don't just get him because he is cheaper- Will you be happy with him in the long run? If not-I would wait until about a month before you need a buck and go buck shopping-the diseases are a concern, but there are disease free herd out there-you just have to go to a reputable breeder.

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I really like him. If you like him and he's disease free and there's not many nigi breeders around your area then you should go for it. He is very hansome and looks pretty good, kinda hard to tell from the pic though.

12. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    He does look good- I would feed him through the winter!!!

13. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Another one of the pluses is I could breed him to my pyg this year. They would be mutts but may be very cute mutts :) Pet goats seem to go well around here. I am hoping to sell the nigis for 4h or FFA.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ok - here is my 2 cents - LOL!

1.) if you have another you can breed him to, there truely isn't alot of breeders / stud service around, really how much more is 1 buck going to make on a food bill??? Now bring in an additional 10 from the previous year - that is different. But 1 mouth if you have the room.... go for it.

2.) if all the does are bred and you cant afford / have the time to build a shelter before winter for him, he can stay with the girls, but when it gets close to delivery - he has to go to his own area, as he will try to rebreed the girls instantly and you don't want that!

3.) I like him, I think he is very flashy (and BE always helps)

Now about my pet peeve - just becuse somesone SAYS they have a disease free herd does snot mean they are. Make them show you proof of testing. Ask them about their blood testing procedures. When was the last time they tested? Did they bring in more goats since then? Were those ones tested and if so by them or a previous breeder?

I personally test yearly, and then i test every new one myself before being brought into the herd regardless if paperwork is sshown or not. I can tell you when bloodwork was done on each and every animal, when they came to the farm, and everything.

15. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I think he's very handsome! I would get him. :)

In fact, my new buck is coming tomorrow, yay! :clap:

16. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    She tested last year. I have not seen the paper work, but I did like what I saw at the farm. All the animals looked in good condition and well cared for. She did booster my does as soon as I said I was going to take them and then she bred them.

I do have room to make a new pen for him. I have a small area he could stay in for this winter if I did not get a pen up for him. Or he could stay with the does. They will be kidding at an awful time. . . Jan and Feb. but I could possible move him and Cheyenne at that point into the separate pen. Chey is 6? So I am not sure if she would take or not. If she did she would not be with him until next month anyway-so she would be kidding in the spring.

He is cute isn't he? I love buckskins. . . is it a buckskin in goats?

17. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, there is a buckskin in goats, but he's not a buckskin. I can't think of the word...ummm...like a beige chamoisee??? Someone help me :doh: why can't I think of the word!

18. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    :leap: :leap: I got them today :leap: :leap:

Pic under the mini sections

19. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    As long as I am planning on breeding does, I will never be with out a buck. The hassle of getting the girls loaded and to a buck in time to breed is not worth it. I currently have 3 bucks. I dont run my bucks together during rut and I dont let them have a buddy either because they fight and run the poor wether around mounting him and everything. I have raised my two nubian bucks from kids. They are 5months now and getting separated tomorrow because they are starting to really go after one another.

The buck is a nice lookin' boy. :greengrin:

20. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I got him. I sort of felt like you did fcnubian.

It seemed that if the farm was one I would want to breed my bucks to they didn't want to take outside does, if they did, I wasn't sure I wanted to use them.