Buck/progency ?????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Sep 23, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ok...is it "wrong" of me to use Teddy to see what I get from he and Angel and then decide if I want to keep him a buck or have him wethered?

Obviously, my pygmy/nigi crosses are pets....and I do milk the moms, but ....I have posted pics of his dams udder, and though not "perfect" by any "standards" she has been an awesome milker. I have not EVER sold a buck kid, they have all been wethered, he is the first for me to keep as a buck....so seeing as how these are pets, the does would be the only "breedable" goats and the chance that he would pass his color pattern on as well as his moms "milk-ability".....any bucklings born would be wethered as Angels mom had the awful "cantalope-in-a-sock" udder and I won't know how Angels is til she freshens again as her first was at a VERY young age and she had very little udder development.

I'm rambling.....sorry :sigh:

I would like to see that blue roan again though.....who knows :shrug:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Not wrong at all...That's actually really smart. If you want to see what he produces and if you "love it" or don't think it's all that great then you can wether him. That's actually being responsible in my opinion. It might be a little harder to find him a home though since he'll be grown or you could even keep him once wethered as a teaser which he might be good at.

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I would do it too! You'll never know what you'll get :shrug: until you try!!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    woo hoo - go for it!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh have fun! Thats the blessing of being in the pet breeding business. Now I am in the show breeding and UGH what a headach

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    You take a risk with all bucks. Just because one comes from excellent stock doesn't mean that he himself will produce excellent stock. It helps when they do to limit the possibility that they'll not meet your standards.

I like to prove junior bucks too. Those who haven't otherwise made themselves worthy yet. A try judge of a buck's potential is in his daughters though. Especially in dairy breeds so until he gets daughters in milk you won't know what you have.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As far as I know....Hank...my Sr Buck hasn't had any daughters but Angel freshen, so I can't really say how any of his daughters are but ging by the "pet quality" of all his kids...85-90% have had "pygmy" features....the other 10-15% did show nigi features...including Angel :greengrin:

Teddy's mom Bootsie has the half and half thing going...pygmy color, width, legs and belly...nigi neck, length and loose skin as well as the capacious udder. His dad is Chief and he hasn't had any daughters freshen so he can't be proven as yet.

Teddy could throw out a pygmy looking kid even though he is more than half nigi and Angel has more pygmy in her lines than nigi...though she looks nigi...confusing I know but at least I know for sure what breed of kids I'll get....and as always..totally cute.

Just pray that my Angl's udder is very capacious and not like her mama's next spring! She and Binky will be my ONLY freshened girls as Heidi and Bailey are too young yet...6 and 7 months old( though Bailey is younger, she is bigger than Heidi and almost the same size as Angel!)

Unless Teddy throws something "not right" he'll stay a buck....and be happy with his dad and "uncle Hank"

Thanks so much for listening, hubby pretends to listen but has no clue what I'm jabbering about :ROFL: