Buck Question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Brainfry, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Brainfry

Brainfry Guest

Dec 11, 2009
    Hello Everyone!

I live in Maine and have a two goat herd of mother and daughter. I have my girls for milking, and bought them with that in mind.

At any rate.

In August I bought an adorable 10 month old buck. I think I had stars in my eyes when I went to get him. He was a nigie, and so very very tiny (maybe 20lbs. Maybe.) I somehow missed that it was probably NOT a good sign. (I should have known better, so no excuses for me)

He never acted like he went into rut at all. No peeing, didn't look like a 'buck', zero smell. No tongue flapping, etc etc. And he never seemed interested in my does, although it was hard to tell since he was terrified of me and hid whenever I came near.

I had him for one month, and found him dead in the stall mid September. A goat guru friend said she suspected heart condition, although that was not confirmed. Since I wanted to have 'breed dates' for them, I had just seperated him the night before.

They have not gone into heat at all that I've been able to see.

Since the first boy was NEVER rutty, is there any chance at all that he bred them? Can a boy get the deed done without seeming like.. well... a boy?

Thanks!

2. Brainfry

Brainfry Guest

Dec 11, 2009
    Can't seem to find the edit button :roll:

Wanted to add- girls are alpineX.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I dont know for sure, but that seems way small, even for ND. he must have been stunted, or had some kind of previous problem.

I dont think your does would be bred, as he sounded like he was immature, pictures could help determine if theyre preg

sorry you lost him :sigh:

4. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I agree with Alaska Boers- I would doubt they are bred.
    Our bucklings from this year are VERY rutty and more than willing to get the job done, now that being said they are normal size for 8/9 month old nigie bucks, but they had difficulty breeding two nubian does (that are not huge at all- they are around 9 months) without some assistance i.e. uphill to the doe, with me holding the doe......
    If your guy was that small and uninterested in the girls, I doubt he could have reached....

Sorry to hear you lost him too, thats sad. How old was he??

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With your little guy I'd have to agree that he should have been acting bucky at 10 months...my buck kids are ornery at 8 weeks...some even doing the growling and tongue flapping at 4 days. The fact that his weight was very low for his age and his sudden death suggests that his system wasn't "right"

If you look around and do a search on "pooch test" you might get an idea of wether your does are bred or not....anything is possible though :wink:

BTW....Welcome :wave:

6. Brainfry

Brainfry Guest

Dec 11, 2009
    Thanks everyone!

That's actually terrific news, since I was a little worried that whatever was wrong with the little guy could have been passed on genetically- which would have been TERRIBLE.

He was about 11mos when he passed. As I said, I wasn't thinking too clearly when I went to look at him. He was absolutely adorable, and... well. If it had been a chicken I was buying I would have known better :ROFL:

I found another buck that we may be purchasing this weekend- completely different owner, completely different herd. Also a nigie, same age, but his hair 'do is covered with yellow currently and I'm assured he'll get the job done. I'm going to be a bit more critical when I pick him out though! I also realize I'm pushing the deadline for breeding this year, but if he's nice enough for me to buy, I'll keep him through. I've also been assured that he's easily handled with a very calm personality, which I really want in my herd. I really should have an Alpine buck but.. gosh they are HUGE.

I won't bother with pooch shots (though I'm checking them out ;) ) since I felt the same way you guys do. My younger doe doesn't look bred, Mom does have a sorta potential thing going, but nothing compared to how it looked last year when she was actually this far along, so it's all pretty doubtful.

Thanks for the welcome!!

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I am assuming he had a heavy load of cocci throughout his entire life. Had he ever been dewormed? That probably added to the problem. When they get majorly overloaded with cocci they are stunted very easily and if it's not treated it can lead to death. I'm sorry you lost him. I highly doubt the girls are bred. I'm sure with this new buck though that you could get them bred.

8. Brainfry

Brainfry Guest

Dec 11, 2009
    KW farms- I have no idea on the cocci, although he certainly didn't seem sick, just small. Yes, he was wormed and was on a worming schedule prior to coming here, and then would have gone on mine if he had been here longer. This was not a sickly herd or I would not have brought him home, and these people certainly had healthy looking stock and seemed to know their animals.

Well, now I'm confused. She's certainly acting like she might be going into labor. She won't lay down, constantly eating hay, back stretching, and standing in the exact same position she did last year before she kidded. Guess time will tell! Keeping a close watch in case something else is going on.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would be confused with her behaviour as well...especially since had your little guy bred her she wouldn't be due until next month :?

10. Well, it sounds like you have gotten good advise. Sorry for the loss but it sounds like you are getting something better now.

Like posted, anything is possible but I would say the chances are slim as well and sounds like maybe for the better.

Welcome to the group and hope you enjoy it here. This is a great place to be.

Oh, where are your pics?

11. Brainfry

Brainfry Guest

Dec 11, 2009
    She could be just teasing me LOL! I thought she looked bloated, so was walking her walking her, gave her baking soda and water, made sure she was belching and cudding.. and then she started licking me and demanding pettings, which I can't say she's ever done before so it was all weird. It's my husband's fault, really, for making me wonder since he's the one who suggested it. Yeah, let's blame him :ROFL:

I did check my e-mail to find out exactly when the other buckling got here, and technically if he bred her the day of arrival, her first due date (for 150) would be 12/26. I hadn't realized I had brought him home in July either.. Wow, it's been a long fall!

If she's not bred, I'm wondering if she'll come into heat with the new buck? It's late in the season. hmm... too much to think about. She LOOKS pregnant, but we all know that means... nothing LOL

And sorry, no pics. Son broke my camera. I'm asking Santa for a new one because I've been oh so good this year :angel2:

12. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Jethro Bodeen is Bridgettes % UglylittlegoatIthinkispygmydwarf buckling. At 2 months he is wanting to breed with even Thomas the Anatolian (much to Thomas' consternation!) He is about 25 pounds and is impressed with the fact that he is as fertile as his Mama. You will definitely know if they are ready to get er' done! Your little guy may have been unwell or underdeveloped :( I hope you find another buck to use for breeding. Unfortunately Jethro has a date with a band tomorrow! Then he will be Jethro Nodeen! :GAAH: :slapfloor: :ROFL:

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    sounds like thelittle dude had a heart condition... i had two do that.. they were always the under a pound runts.. both had to be put down at about 3 months