The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my kinder buck has been "Bucky" for the last month or so, does that mean I do have does in heat, or do they just go in and out of rut naturally? He is usually in with my buckling, but I have to fix the fence so he can't escape... I've noticed though the last 3-4 weeks he has been terrible to deal with, he tries it on me:( I've tried everything to get him to stop, ear tugging, water bottle, pinning him down and sitting on him.... Nothing works...:( This just happens when he is in rut, it's not all the time he's like this. The buckling is starting to stink bucky now too, so does this mean I do have girls in heat, is that what puts them in rut? I have one girl for sure getting close to delivery and another one is a maybe, but if she is preggo it has to be this month... My buckling did get out the day before yesterday and one of my big girls wagged her tail, was welcoming it... (I'm just hoping he didn't get the little girl first before I caught him) If his rut is due to some of my girls being in heat them I'll know all the signs... I'm not opposed to any of them getting bred right now, just with the who:) Man, I've been thinking way too much about this... I'm just bound and determined not to let them run together....., but would like to know (especially for my silent heat girls) when I can try:)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
A buck can come into rut well before your does are ready for him. BUT if they are penned next to each other, one coming in can influence the other for sure. But usually its the buck bring the does in to heat cause of his smell and sweet taking :) With him getting out and your doe giving him the ok with the tail wage, if you didnt catch him right as he got out then I would give it a 99.9% chance that he got her before you came out. When you have two willing goats it only takes seconds and the deed is done. But if he is stinky a good thing to try is to smell her back where he would of rubbed on her while mounting. If you get a good whiff of buck stink, then yep, its for sure.

And as for him being a jerk, some bucks are just that way no matter what during the rut. The best thing we have found is to grab a hand full of beard and keep him in check that way. That and a good hard slap on the nose. Everything else just seems to piss em off more.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, they are not next to each other they are a good 200 ft apart, actually the kinder who is the smelliest right now really hasn't been next to them, it's my 4 mo old buckling. I did put the buckling and my Nubian/Lamancha in together the same day he got out, and I was afraid my kinder doe got it..., but I noticed him with Rosie, one if my big girls... July 30-Aug 1st around there is marked on the calendar to see if she comes back in heat. Both big girls are silent with their heat cycles, but I'm hoping to actually to catch them in heat this season...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts