Buck question

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Driver, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Can you have a Nigerian dwarf buck live with your doe's? Wanting to buy a buck don't really want to split pen in half only have 1/4 acre pen. Does anyone do it successfully? Any and all advice very welcome.

Thanks!!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

You definitely need to be able to separate them. He can live with them for a few months but would need to be separated before the does kid.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Having the buck breed the does back to back twice a year at least would be tough on the doe's health. Also having the buck breed young doelings (his daughters) before they have grown adequately would be bad.

4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    You can use an anti mating apron. But the does once bred need at least the last.2 months of pregnancy without a buck. Also for the 1st 3 months of a kids.life should be without a buck. Some bucks can get mean to little bucklings.
    At least for.my herd. I have 3 bucks. So they have their own paddock.except for 2 to 3 months...then they are with my does.

5. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Having a separate pen for a buck I consider essential. It being cold here I don't want my does kidding in February which is what they'd do if giving the chance. My buck lives with the does all summer then I separate them when the weather starts to get colder and a heat is possible. Then when I want them bred I either put the girls in with him for the day, he lives in a pen right next to the doe herd, or they live with him during the day up until they kid. He gets his own stall at night because I don't want any sort of competition going on with food. But in the past he did share a large stall area at night as well. It just depends on buck temperament and how he is raised. He is a sweet buck and is good with kids as well. He'll play with kids like a good daddy. But you want to separate a buck if he is making the does get too much exercise or being aggressive. And it can change over the years, I know my buck has had years where he was more aggressive then others and I wouldn't have wanted him in with the does and others when he was so chill I wondered if he was going to get the job down, lol. Goats!

6. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    So can I have a separate temp pen right next to goats so he can see them but be separate? Really don't want to add more then 1 buck to the herd.
    3 goat max for our pen/pasture

7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    As long as there are no girls you don’t want bred on the other side of the fences. Boys can actually breed threw a fence. If your like me your probably laughing saying no way, don’t be like me and learn the hard way lol if there are girls that you don’t want bred, get creative on keeping it from happening. A roof so he can’t get up on the fence, water troughs lined against the fence, or what I have is a 2’ gap between fences (also the roof but it just worked out that way, the gap would be fine). Don’t trust small holed panels or fencing, it can be done threw that.

8. Jessica is right - we have the 4 inch square fencing but does and bucks share one fence line. I had a breeding thru and then had to DNA test my bucks and the little doeling born to determine the father. We also have a hot strand on the buck side along the fence.
    I would personally never leave my buck with the does. They only get together when I want to bred one of the girls. Then the girl in heat is in a separate place and I put the buck with her till he does the job and then he goes right back home. We have two bucks with a fence that can be closed to separate them if they get to aggressive with each other during the rut. There is a small building on each side. Each of us has a little different way.

9. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Will 1 buck be ok with living by himself with fence in between so he can still see the does?

10. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    @R.Williamson has a really nice buck setup. You should check it out! Small but very efficient.

11. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Won't let me see their profile or post says they limit. Do you have a thread link with their setup?
    Thanks!

12. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yes he will be ok. It’s not ideal but he will be ok. My boys are butt heads to each other so they live in separate pens by themselves but see the girls. They have been like this for years.
    I didn’t see this mentioned so please forgive me if it has but if he takes it hard being by himself another option is a wether as a buddy.

13. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I keep my bucks with my does 98% of the time with no issues, But! It all depends on the buck, My Nubian bucks are quiet and sweet and don't bother the does when they are in late pregnancy and they are only mean to babies when they try to nurse on things that shouldn't be nursed on. I used to own LaMancha and LaMancha cross bucks and they were hell to keep away from the does no matter if they were pregnant or not. From my experience with Mini bucks, they have always been in rut no matter what time of year it is so I wouldn't keep one with the does.

I keep an anti-mating apron on my boys all the time, even in breeding season so I can keep track of when a doe is bred and when they are coming into heat.

14. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Since you have a small set up, you will also have to think about kidding areas for your does. Perhaps just keep a buck as long as it takes him to do the job and move him along.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice and suggestions.

I would not keep a buck in with the does for too long, after all are preggo. The last 2 months of pregnancy, they give off a smell which bucks think they are in season, then chase and try to breed them, if they are aggressive and persistent enough, some can penetrate, possibly causing harm.

If a doe gets her head caught somewhere, the buck will have a field day on her.

All this stress can cause them to abort.

Some bucks hit the does in the gut, at feeding or when they won't allow them to breed her, he gets sexually frustrated. Which isn't fair to either of them.

16. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

My buck is ok with that. When they walk to the back of the field he screams though.
    He enjoyed company with our wether in the summer until rutting season hit. Then he got aggressive with the wether.

17. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    These are a couple pics of one of my pens. I will be blunt T posts do not suffice on a determined buck. This particular pen has Does in it usually and this fellow was there to handle some business. His pen is made out of Goat panels and Wood posts. The total height on his actual pen is 8ft. He ... is a leaper. The pen you see in this pic holds my other buck without issue. His butt end is too fat to get over it lol. Beef would not be able to normally but he is not toting as much weight as he should be. As it is he has a heck of a time getting over the 4 ft panels. Ultimately our bucks pens will end up being 6 ft. He has beaten the tar our of the goat panels in his pen before but they have held up. A bit warped but they hold lol. Just for clarification these are goat/sheep panels, not cattle. The cattle panels are not quite as sturdy. Don't get me wrong they work but I would not put anything in them that could possibly put their head through the holes. The goats ones are 4x4 holes. The nes I purchased were 16ft long and 48 inches high. Don't worry they can "Bend" them into a truck bed really well so no worries about them hanging out. LOL just be careful what yu drive under on the way home. I found out real quick that I need to switch sides of the road on the way to my house because of low hanging trees.

Attached Files:

18. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
  19. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    What are the dimensions of your buck pen? Wondering how much space I need to carve out for a buck. Can your buck see the does?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  20. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    His primary pen is 16x16 . Not as big as I would like but it works for now. Has to be cleaned regularly. He can see the does about 20 ft away. The pen he is pictured in is 16x20. Once again with this size they have to be cleaned , preferably, daily. He is particularly lazy so it works.
    I cannot wait until we finally move