Buck question

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Driver, Oct 13, 2020.

1. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Thank you. This is Cheeze It's dad

2. Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    MO
    Kola was horribly lonely, off away from the girls, and he was also Calypso's sire, so (while I know 'line breeding' is common with livestock, I just can't). So, we got him a buddy, and they live to the southwest of the house, while the girls live to the northeast of the house. We've added more goats to both paddocks, now, but initially getting fencing set up was a bear, so not being able to put the three of our original goats together was a bit of a stressful nightmare.

3. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    It can be at first. Sounds like you all are getting things worked out :)

4. Silvi

Silvi Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Lithuania, Europe
    I am planing to buy a buck for my girls soon. I have a pretty large space for wintering inside farm building and I was thinking maybe I could just tie the buck in one corner and place feed and water next to him? I am new to this so maybe it's not so good idea. Woman from whom we bought our goats kept one buck with plenty of goats and kids. He's is nice and quiet though. One of mean goats who was harassing younger ones with kids was tied so I thought maybe it would work with buck? We have a big separate pen with high fences for summer to keep him separate so I am worrying only about winter time.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I really really don't recommend keeping any Goat tied up at any time especially a buck with does around. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Could you build a stall in the corner of the building instead. Think of bucks as sex crazed teenagers with nothing in between their ears except the desire to mate...they will use very ounce of their power to get to the girls and could easily wrap the tie out around their neck or around their legs and pull till something breaks.
    Since you already have a separate pen, a simple shelter could also be built out of pallets and scrap wood for your buck too.

6. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I strongly agree. Tying is a bad idea.
    I only ever tie a goat if I am right there, supervising. E.g. a bully at feeding, or to have a goat clear a patch of growth outside their pen.

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Sorry - but I'm going to be blunt. Unless you are only tying for feeding, NO. He needs a separate space, and room enough to move and stay healthy. This is a disaster waiting to happen. No life for any animal remaining tied, let along a buck who is hormone driven. Perhaps just run him with your does for a couple of months and move him on. He will need to separated during the last months of pregnancy, and if he is frustrated, may not be nice to the kids.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with those who said not to keep him tied.

Goats can get into big trouble being tied. Plus they cannot move around much causing rumen and health issues etc.

9. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    I would advise against this whole heartedly. Especially with a buck. I have tied does out but only while I was able to keep a close eye on them. Also the does I tied out were very well trained to a lead. It's usually not worth the risk. It is a good way to quickly lose a goat.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    If you have a separate pen already you could build a little shed for him and get a wether friend. You could also look for a used shed that someone is reselling or getting rid of. Then it would already be made and you could just stick it in there. I don't know how cold you get there in winter.
    Or you could get panels or build a stall area for him in the bigger barn but you would need to build him a run for him to get outside. Or you could walk him over to his outside run that you have for summer time. I've had to walk goats to their outside run for a while and it can be a pain but it is doable.
    I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but have you thought of renting a buck? Some people will have bucks available for lease and you could run the buck with your girls for a few heat cycles and then return him. Then you don't have to worry about a separate pen or anything.
    Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more thoughts or questions.

Driver, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  11. Silvi

Silvi Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Lithuania, Europe
    Thank you all for the answers, I absolutely will not tie him. I already got a buck, 7 month old youngster, mixed breed. Owner would have culled him out unless she sold him since he's mixed breed and goats are not popular here anyway. So I got him very cheap (my girls are mixed also and i will be culling kids anyway). One more probably not the best idea :D - buck and chickens living together? It can get cold here, up to -22 F (-30 C) at times. Did not happen for years, but always possible. And I have a nice separate well protected space were I keep chickens. I bet it's no good, but I am ready to ask stupid questions and avoid making stupid mistakes :)

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  12. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    You can - but - your goat cannot get into or eat the chicken feed!

MadHouse, toth boer goats and Silvi like this.
  13. Silvi

Silvi Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Lithuania, Europe
    That's what I thought too and there is a way for me to solve this. So no more issues with buck living with chickens, only chicken feed?

MadHouse likes this.
  14. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Silvi

Silvi Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Lithuania, Europe
    Thank's! :) And one more question :D I hear, at least people around me, keep buck for only 2 years and find new one. I understand why if they want to keep and breed his daughters. I need only two goats for our milk needs so no plans to increase herd. Is there another reason to change bucks more often? How long can a buck be "productive"?

Driver and MadHouse like this.
  17. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

The only other issue, other than chicken food, that I have is that when you do deep litter (a thick layer of straw that stays all winter and only gets added to), the chickens will turn it and expose the ammonia smelling old pee and moisture. Because of that I keep the chickens out of the goat stalls.

Silvi likes this.
  18. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    No reason to get a buck every two years in my opinion. I've had only one buck for ... I'm terrible with time ... 6 years ish. He has bred his daughters too but I don't keep the kids from that breeding. I don't really know how long a buck stays productive, maybe someone else will chime in on that, but a long time, lol.

Driver and Silvi like this.