buck questions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by booboo, Jun 18, 2010.

1. booboo

booboo New Member

May 21, 2010
    Hi everyone, great site by the way, hopefully one day, I will be able to add something.I would be really gratefull if you could help me out here. I was woundering how many bucks can be safely kept together in open pasture and winter housing? Can the they be housed together? I know nothing on buck management. If anyone could point me in the right direction ie websites, links, etc, it would be gratefully received.
    We dont have any goats at present nor have we ever kept them.Hopeing to soon,I have wanted goats since I was a little girl, I am still little, just a lot older lol. I have been researching for some time now. I seem to be able to get a lot of general information but finding detail information is hard to come by.
    Thanks in advance

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I have two safely housed together inside a 14x10 building with a 20x20 pen attached. I'm sure more in open pasture would be fine, so long as you have the room for it.

This article is pretty decent: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... ing06.html

A good fence is your friend. Bucks are escape artists and won't stop until they get what they want. Even through the fence. lol

Welcome to TGS :)

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have successful kept 8 bucks together at a time and i'm sure a few more wouldn't change much either. You are going to want to make sure that if the bucks don't get along that they each have a seperate shelter to get out of hot/cold weather if the other buck keeps kicking him out. Other than that we've had no problems. They all get along great, just during rut they get a little more rough with each other, but we've never had any injuries besides a couple scurs broken off now and then.

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I agree with Kylee.... my bucks all get along very well.... they even cuddle with each other at night.

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I have two bucks, one with horns, the other without, and right now they are in a 20 something by 15 pen with a 3x6 calf hut. They get along fine! :D

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have 3 boys together...2 horned 1 polled, the only thing I found that is a problem at this point is feeding time, the young boy...now a wether, is very food agressive, during rutt last year he was impossible with the older 2 boys, they share a 12 x 6 shed and have a 32x 40 pen with an attached aproximate 100x50 pasture, this winter there will be changes made as far as the aggressor goes.

7. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    The younger the better. Two bucks under 6-8 months old will adapt to each other much better than throwing a couple of two or three year olds together for the first time. Should be no problem when putting together a young buck with an older, more mature one. They both know from the start which one is dominate.
    I'd also avoid mixing horned and dehorned together.
    Each animals disposition will be a factor as well. There is no getting around the fact that some bucks are simply more aggressive than others.
    And no matter what you do, if you put more than one buck in a pen they will decide between themselves who is top dog. A friend told me she once introduced a new buck to her existing herd sire and they went after it non stop for almost a full hour. Were still going strong when she decided to seperate them. These two were not just politely butting heads either. It was an all out fight. If I remember correctly she said they each were a little over a year old.
    Having enough space to feed as far apart as possible would help too. In my experience the dominant buck, or doe for that matter, always thinks the other has better food than he/she. So it's back and forth till the foods gone.
    Nothing is set in concrete though. Every situation is different.

8. I as well as others I know house our bucks together. I have seven and in the winter months they will all be together. Right now two are out with the girls. However our buck pen is about 40x50. I feed grain daily and of course hay when they need it. When I am home I let them out to graze the whole 1.5 acres or let them in the pasture next to our place. It is not ours but no one does anything with it so I figure why not? lol The field is so tall right now no one could see them anyway. LOL

Well, hope that helps. Oh their shelter is about 20x18 maybe 20x20.

9. booboo

booboo New Member

May 21, 2010
    :) Thanks everyone, really great information. I have been searching for that for weeks, its really put my mind at ease, I had images of all these separate pens all over the land.
    Thanks again :)

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I was wondering something about this tonight. We are only going to keep 1-2 bucks at the most, but for now we only have one.
    We need to start thinking about getting a buck pen built for our little man. Trying to find the least expensive route, but a fencing that will hold a full grown buck. I was looking at a 'round pen' on craigslist, and curious if anyone knows if that would be good, or could he climb out of it? The spaces don't look to be too wide.... Just an idea while we're on the subject of bucks.

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    A round pen would be great as long as it is lines with no climb or livestock fencing.

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks. I should hopefully start receiving payments soon for a job I did at the end of April <yes, it takes forever to get paid>, and I'd like to get the buck pen built, and finish our mini barn. Lots of projects, so I have to keep it 'inexpensive' but durable/stable for a buck as he isn't going to stay little forever LOL

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks. I should hopefully start receiving payments soon for a job I did at the end of April <yes, it takes forever to get paid>, and I'd like to get the buck pen built, and finish our mini barn. Lots of projects, so I have to keep it 'inexpensive' but durable/stable for a buck as he isn't going to stay little forever LOL