The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!
I was just wondering, those of you who rent bucks to breed your does, how much do you get charged? What do you think is a fair price? And let's say that the person is renting the buck to you pays for the feed also for their buck.
Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I charge $50 per doe for driveway breedings, or will trade for a doeling if someone is bringing multiple does. I require recent clean health tests which can be costly on its own, so I don't want to feel like I'm gauging people too bad.
Driveaway meaning you drop the buck off at their place?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nope, driveway as in they come here. I don't let my guys leave the place. I wish I knew local rates for people who do, but unfortunately I don't know ANYBODY who does the rent-a-buck-by-the-month arrangement.

I have folks bring their does here and we have a special pen set up for dates. If somebody's interested in coming here I offer to set them up with a buck rag, and if their does don't settle on the first try I let 'em try again for free. It would probably be more convenient to loan out my buck, but my fanciest/most desirable guy is very sensitive and attached to us and I am worried it would upset him!

·
Fair-Haven
4,607 Posts
Personally I wouldn't trust others to care for my buck - so renting a buck to stay at your place is seldom done. Prices really depend on bloodlines, disease testing - so those that do rent are usually fair. You could look into AI, but it gets pricey with everything needed to have successful breedings, and know even though a straw may be $125, you have to purchase more than one.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I rent bucks on occasion from people that know well. Only bucks from clean herds that have been tested. It's still a risk with bio security but that's why I only deal with friends I know well. Bucks get over stress as soon as they're in with new does
I pay a flat rate for a specific amount of time but I know others that pay per doe bred. I care for the buck while he's with me including feed, hoof care if needed or any medical that may come up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
We charge 50$ per doe for a driveway and all the does are tested for CAE and Jhonees luckily our buck is very active so will get a doe 2-3 times when they’re in standing heat ;) but if owner wants they can cidr doe so they don’t have to wait for her to come into heat naturally

1 - 10 of 10 Posts