Buck...rent...

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Iluvlilly!, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Hey everybody!
    I was just wondering, those of you who rent bucks to breed your does, how much do you get charged? What do you think is a fair price? And let's say that the person is renting the buck to you pays for the feed also for their buck.
    Thanks!

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    There is no one answer to this. Depends on if it's a driveway breeding or a stay for 30 day situation. Breed, bloodlines, testing etc also play an important part of the mix. I've seen anywhere from $50 for a driveway breeding, up to $400......... so it all depends.

3. wheel-bear-o

wheel-bear-o Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Vermont
    I charge $50 per doe for driveway breedings, or will trade for a doeling if someone is bringing multiple does. I require recent clean health tests which can be costly on its own, so I don't want to feel like I'm gouging people too badly.

Iluvlilly!, MadHouse and AlabamaGirl like this.
  4. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    Driveaway meaning you drop the buck off at their place?

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  5. wheel-bear-o

Jul 6, 2020
    Vermont
    Nope, driveway as in they come here. I don't let my guys leave the place. I wish I knew local rates for people who do, but unfortunately I don't know ANYBODY who does the rent-a-buck-by-the-month arrangement.

I have folks bring their does here and we have a special pen set up for dates. If somebody's interested in coming here I offer to set them up with a buck rag, and if their does don't settle on the first try I let 'em try again for free. It would probably be more convenient to loan out my buck, but my fanciest/most desirable guy is very sensitive and attached to us and I am worried it would upset him!

Iluvlilly!, AlabamaGirl and MadHouse like this.
  6. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

That is how I would feel.

7. wheel-bear-o

Jul 6, 2020
    Vermont
    He was raised in the house because someone wearing very strong perfume held him the day after he was born and his mom rejected him, so he thinks he's a person and is the sweetest animal on our farm. I think he would be devastated if we sent him away from us and his BFF goat.

MadHouse, AlabamaGirl and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Personally I wouldn't trust others to care for my buck - so renting a buck to stay at your place is seldom done. Prices really depend on bloodlines, disease testing - so those that do rent are usually fair. You could look into AI, but it gets pricey with everything needed to have successful breedings, and know even though a straw may be $125, you have to purchase more than one.

MadHouse, Iluvlilly! and AlabamaGirl like this.
  9. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I rent bucks on occasion from people that know well. Only bucks from clean herds that have been tested. It’s still a risk with bio security but that’s why I only deal with friends I know well. Bucks get over stress as soon as they’re in with new does
    I pay a flat rate for a specific amount of time but I know others that pay per doe bred. I care for the buck while he’s with me including feed, hoof care if needed or any medical that may come up.

10. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    We charge 50$ per doe for a driveway and all the does are tested for CAE and Jhonees luckily our buck is very active so will get a doe 2-3 times when they’re in standing heat ;) but if owner wants they can cidr doe so they don’t have to wait for her to come into heat naturally