The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever seen a goat that picks up his hind leg, rolls it forward, hitting the inside of the knee joint on the opposite side (or his testicles) with his hoof, and then places it on the ground when walking? He doesn't do it when running. He doesn't seem to be in pain. Person selling goat says he does this when does are in heat... Neighbor looking to buy him, but doesn't want a genetic problem, or an injury for that matter. He is 18 months old.

It appears like a person who is rolling his shoulder forward, like before a boxing match or something.

Thanks.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Do you mean he walks with one hind leg like a stringhalted pony? If so it's a common nerve injury that I can't remember the name of. I've seen it before in people's pack goats.

·
BoerValleyFarm
49 Posts
I just watched the video for stringhalt on a horse. That is what the goat is doing. Can a boer goat get stringhalt and is it genetically transferred to it's kids?

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Yes, they can get Stinghalt. Animals who have it are sound/not in pain, they just walk funny. It is not genetically transferred. It is caused usually by injury sometimes by improper diet.

·
2,203 Posts
Sometimes dairy cattle do this as well. See it especially in the older cows. Like stepping over pretend stones. Lol

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
If it is diet related, Dandelion, Beet Pulp, and other high Oxalic acid plants have been implicated. Sometimes Vitamin E will help. Usually though it is a damaged nerve.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
This is interesting to me. I don't mean to hijack the thread but can a buck with this condition still breed? What about a doe? Would she be able to carry and deliver kids without an issue?

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Yes Dani, they are actually fine. The condition only affects them when they are walking.

The nerve that makes the muscles contract gets damaged, so they get "stuck" They can't put the foot back down until it's almost all the way up. There is no pain, they are strong and sound, just different. They run normally and usually walk backwards normally.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
I do love learning new things :D thanks for the thread

1 - 20 of 23 Posts