The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago purchased a buck at weanling age, shortly after, he started getting a wobbly rear end.
I didn't know what it was, thought polio or selenium deficiency.
Treated him, but wasn't working.

At the time I didn't think, but he came from an area with whitetail deer.
I have never had the issue in my area where we live.
It skipped my mind.
I remedied it wrong for a little while, then it popped into my head meningeal worm!!
He was really weak in the rear by this time.

So I treated him, he finally showed improvement.
And got better.
He was born Jan 2017, has been breeding and getting my girls preggo.
He has permanent damage to his rear end, however, he walks, breeds, but sometimes falls a bit but gets the deed done.

The thing is, when he walks, he looks normal, but when he runs he looks odd, like he can't control his legs well. But he is OK otherwise.
And butts heads with my other buck and still is boss.

My question is, I need to sell him, need new lines, do I sell him at normal price or do I have to downgrade price?

This is him..

Electrobuck power.jpg

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Obviously he's gorgeous and if he has been proven over and over again I don't see any reason to lower the price. However, I've noticed over here on the east coast there is a really great buck for sale, about the same age. The owner was forthcoming in the ad that his leg was previously broken and has a limp, but like your buck is well proven. The owner is having a hard time selling him regardless.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Honestly that’s kinda a tough call. Especially not seeing him. The main thing as a buyer I would be worried about is if he is bad enough to be injured while breeding (meaning he breaks his penis because that’s game over). So I think what I would do is since you see him, ask yourself what you would do if he came up for sale and you needed a buck. If you would say no big deal then keep it at a high price. If you would pass then lower it. The only thing I would be worried about is if you NEED to move him you will be playing a game for awhile with people showing up and leaving without buying. So I say what would you do ;)

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, he produces really well and is a nice looking bulky buck.

It is a tough call, that is why I am asking, LOL. ;)

I can't keep him forever, but I really don't want to have to put him down because no one wants him with an issue.

I started breeding him around 6-7 months old and all the times he got the job done.

I am so frustrated. :(

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
No! I don’t think you will need to put him down! He just might not bring as much. I’m a overly cautious person and I would spend money on a nice buck and risk it, again depending on how bad he is, I just might not spend a high dollar for him.
I think if you don’t need to move him put him up for sale at a normal price, if he doesn’t move then lower it. But he’s not worthless. Heck even butcher wise he’s worth $300 alone.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
No suggestions, but if my little 5'2 rearend saw him, i would be headed the other direction! He's huge!!! Funny coming from me, considering i have a Brahman x bull!!!

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been very honest with everyone who was inquiring about him.
They were all excited until I told them of his issue, they have all been backing off.
Even lowered price and still Nada. :( Pretty frustrating.
I have a few who think meningeal worm is thrown to the offspring, Really people? I explain about it, as it has nothing to do with that.
What a world, what a world.:bonk:

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
What a bummer. It's funny people will pay for a lower quality animals but not one like with a slight gimp.

How noticeable is it really? I am certainly not encouraging you to be dishonest in advertising but is it really even worth mentioning? It's not a genetic flaw and does not impact his performance. And people don't show bucks his age anyhow I don't think. I know it sticks in your mind as you feel you should have caught it earlier but it's really no failure from a sales standpoint.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well try and look on the bright side, if they think it can be passed down to his offspring they would probably end up being a royal pain in the behind for the rest of his life with him. Trust me!
I know it’s frustrating but at the same time you are doing exactly the right thing. If you didn’t mention it and they showed up they would probably get annoyed bad mouth you.
Don’t give up hope just yet. I know a lot of people are still working on selling kids and not yet have breeding at the top of their concerns at the moment.
A idea though! What about getting a video of him and when they message you send the video to them and then tell them what is going on. If it’s really not THAT bad then they probably will have a hard time pin pointing it anyways.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone, it is frustrating.
I want to be honest, I am just that way.

I did do video's, and when they asked to see it I did send them.

He isn't bad, but when he gets rushed by me, he looks a bit weird in the rear legs, but when, he is being natural and doing the norm, he looks pretty good, just has a slight limp on one rear leg when walking.
I was videoing him, he looked pretty good. I couldn't get him to do the weirdo walk/run. Go figure.

·
8,177 Posts
If he was around here, he would be snatched up pretty quickly.
The critters they call Boer crosses, are awful. Skinny, stunted with traditional Boer coloring. I think there might be 3 bucks and everyone uses them, really inbred! (Ok, I'm sure there are more bucks, but the goats that I've seen are not quality, the 4-h kids are being taken for a ride.)

At one time, I was looking into and had some Boers. I figured the meat kids would compliment my income during the off months of milking. It would have worked, there is a lot of interest in meat, but the darn kids were too cute to sell for dinner. (Just my opinion, I have absolutely nothing against anyone that raises/slaughters humanly, or eats goat meat).

Anyway, I am sure the right person will come along. He sure is nice looking!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts