buck service pricing??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pelicanacresMN, Jan 29, 2010.

1. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I've had a number of people ask me throughout this past fall/winter if I had buck service available.
    Just curious what prices others out there offer the service for. If I decide to do it in the future, it will only be to other registered Nigerian does that come from disease free herds with owners that want to better their herds or try new lines. My bucks are registered & come from pretty nice bloodlines & I won't waste them on mixed breeds.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a "waste" on a mixed breed. I take very good care of my girls and I'd love to upbreed their genetics for good milkers... that's not a waste. That's bettering your herd.

As far as pricing, I've gotten a few quotes from $30-75 a doe per breeding. That's not including leasing or boarding a doe.

Good luck :)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I charge $25 per doe for a "driveway" breeding and $50 per doe if they stay for the duration it takes for them to come into heat.

New lines are often the reason for needing stud service, or it's because the girls owner doesn't have a buck or doesn't want the added goat for just one breeding. Breeding up is a great way to improve and having those options available are a blessing.

4. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    If I decide to outbreed from year to year, its $50 for one breeding. I don't have the room to board peoples animals. I do offer a price cut for 4-H and FFA members, usually its only $35 for them. I only do selective breeding though, which is up to your personal preference!

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I usually pay $40 for my does to be breed at the bucks farm. This year I brought the buck to my farm and I'm only paying $20. The bucks owner guarantees that we get to use him until we have a live birth. Meaning, if the girls don't take the first time, miscarry, abort....etc, then we get to breed again for free.

6. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I personally wouldn't go a above$70---speaking from experience of using another person's stud . . . .
    Also, I would not request that the doe be tested within 60 days of breeding. I had to test twice in one year just because my doe had been tested 90 days before breeding and it was a pain in the butt. My goat wasn't happy, I wasn't happy and my daddy wasn't happy. :roll:
    Vet checking if something I would definitely do however and probably will if I ever stud a buck. . . .

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i have alot of people just assume i breed for free, so i spent a weekend and i made a contract.. its on my website if you want to see it

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I personally charge 125 for my boy - Abba - to breed any other doe outside of my farm. However - there has only been 3 does that I have even considered letting him breed to, and all must be tested within 60 days.

That price includes the BoSe injection, breeding, boarding, my time of checking her daily, checking in with owner and keeping them updated on what is going on with their girl. My time is worth a small fee, in my opinion. Also, for the girl that is up here now, she was a doe of mine that I sold as a FF bred, and so I said that I would trade for a doeling if one is born or the fee.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I charge 30.00 for my unproven bucks and my friend has a proven buck that charges 50.00

Everywhere else its 50-75.00 for the breeding and then board is on top of that.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i harge 125 plus board for my buck kevin.. but i guarantee kids, which few people do

11. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    To me the fee to just breed shouldnt be all that high. Just think, a straw of semen from a WELL proven buck usually ranges 20-55 dollars. I totally understand on boarding fees, but to pay 50- 75 dollars and a boarding fee PER DOE ( I have 5) would be SOOO expensive. Once you add in the cost of the health papers, blood testing, and extra shots... it would cost me more to get them bred than I could make on the kids!

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't do stud service, but with a high quality buck I would charge $100 and I would be willing to pay that for a really nice buck if I ever needed to use an outside buck.

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The pricing is all in the quality of the animals that are to be produced. For some, they are only trying to get their does in milk, then yes, there is no reason to seek out a top end, registered buck. But when you are breeding for registry, breed standard, and to improve the breed - then you want the best that you can, which will increase the cost

Straws can be a bit cheaper - but then you have to have the supplies to use the straw correctly, know exact things about your doe - and hope that it takes. With regular breeding - it is pretty safe to say the deed is done and you can rebreed if there is a 5 day heat (would need another straw for) or if she recycles - yet another straw.

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I've always wanted to do artificial insemination until I watched a program on bull semen and how to handle and care for it up until the day of use. I guess the person who puts the semen in the nitrogen tank has to know exactly what they're doing or the semen can be easily damaged. Even taking the semen out to check it after you get it can kill some of the semen within seconds causing straws to become useless. It ends up costing a lot more than anticipated.

I agree though, if you're looking to get your doe in milk or just a few pet kids then I wouldn't spend over $50 for a low quality or average buck. But I'd definately be willing to pay a lot more for a buck of superb genetics.

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    For 4-h kids usually about $75

But for everyone else it's $100 to $125

I guarantee kids as well.

16. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Oh- Good to know- we may have to visit you!

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Anna I totally agree! It wasnt that long ago that I was without a buck and relying on someone else to have one available for stud. It drove me nuts that it costs more to breed then I could get out of the kids. So I am trying to keep the breeding fees low and the boarding fee is just 1.00 a day (to cover hay costs) but if they bring their own hay and grain I wont charge them anything because whats one more goat right :)

I like the idea of someone leasing the buck for X amount of dollars and getting service memos for 2-5.oo on top of that. For a small yet larger number then 1-2 thats more feasible and easier on everyone. I will have to look into offering that :)

18. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Most of the quality breeders with quality stock in this area breeding fees are around $150 for a driveway breeding- meaning no "boarding" you bring your doe and the buck is led out on a leash doe is bred "in the driveway" and thats that.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you live in a high stakes area -- glad I dont but even if I did I would be the cheep one. I dont care what the going rate is I am out to promote the breed and if that means making it accessible for those who dont have as much money thats what I will do.

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    There is more to having buck service then just what "he" is providing.

Most people don't want to keep a buck because of the stink factor, the feed costs for something they only use for a couple times a year, the yearly testing if they keep a clean herd, the vaccinations, wormings, and other meds. This ALL needs to also be factored into the price when placing a buck up for stud service.

I personally don't want to "flood" my area with the quality genes that I have brought in, as that will make the value of my kids go down, because now they are a dime a dozen with those lines in all the animals in the area. That is why I choose only select outside females to have my buck bred to - and it shouldn't be about the making of money, but to "offset" costs. It should be more about producing a quality offspring that promotes the breed - but that is just my opinion.

If I had to talley up my costs to income ratio - I would still be in the hole. I ONLY do the registered breeding to better the Nigerian breed, allow for milk for my family, while being able to sell some kids to offset the cost of their upkeep, but definately not to make money. If I do make money - great - but if not - that is alright also - as I have to take into account the bi-prodocts that I also received and their "worth" to my family.

I will say - that if there is a huge herd to be bred to my buck - then yes, it is a flat rate fee that is better suited to a large herd. However, if I am charging 100 - 125 for a single breeding - even with one kid - you should be able to sell a good quality kid for more than the breeding fee - then if there are more than one kid - even better!