Buck shopping, need opinions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathappy, Mar 26, 2008.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well I need to get my mind off of things for a while so I started buck shopping. Mom said she'd prefer if I got one from a reputable breeder that is also a dairy, so I have two dairies picked out, Redwood Hills in CA and Altrece LaManchas in AZ.

Redwood Hills is on DHI test, but they don't have many does listed on their website, and Altrece is not on test but from other goats of theirs that I have seen on test they do very well. Altrece is a cheese dairy, so I'm sure that BF and protein as well as milk is important to them.

Ok so here are my choices:
    SGCH Redwood Hills Mighty Mouse 5*M LA 92 VEEE and she milked 3000 lbs
    SG Rockin-CB KV I'm a Wanton, her high test was 13 lbs
    You can see them on: http://www.redwoodhill.com/whats_new_goats.shtml

And on Altrece: http://www.altrece.com/Mature%20does.htm
    I like SGCH Altrece Luxe Montana Sky the best, she just really stands out to me. I also like Breathtaking, Wish Granted, and Brambleberry. I really think that I can't go wrong with any of the does from Altrece, they are all really nice.

So what does everybody think?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I really love Montana but I also love Redwood's does. Very hard choice but I would probably go with one from Montana. :drool:

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I like the Redwood Hill does too. I also really like Montana and Wish. :greengrin:

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

breathtaking and brambleberry are my personal favorites.
    beth

5. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i like montana myself but by the looks of them all you really can't go wrong

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    have you looked at any of jill pritchard herd? she is in IN & i got to see her lamancha's at the TN state fair they are really very nice.

7. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I like Montana and the Redwood Hill's doe. I would take a look at the doe's offspring and the consistency there before making a decision. I have seen beautiful does that could not reproduce off spring like themselves or improvements that you expect when breeding a doe. They are very nice does to pick from.
    Sue

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well Redwood Hills doesn't have a lot of does listed, so I was going to email them and see if they have a brochure or not.

I see two pat. half sisters to Montana listed, and her sire seems to throw consistent udders. I'm looking up progency now.

Fritzie, I have two does and a buck from Jill, which I am very happy with. I am looking into using some other lines for my new buck though :wink:

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I've heard good things about Redwood Hills. If you are ever thinking of other ones that dont have dairy's, i'd look at http://www.huricane-pm.com . She has some really nice does. I have one from her herd. Her does are on milk test. I think she even has some bucklings listed for sale on her site maybe even has some pictures up of them to.

10. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    sarah another one you might look into is morgage hill that is on my web page. she bought 3 from me last year & they had the quitoxe lines in them, i have had alpines in my herd with red wood hills & i really like them.

11. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I really like Breathtaking and Brambleberry,but I dont know alot, they just stand out to me. :lol: