Buck Starting to Nip and get Aggressive

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by The1moe, Dec 3, 2010.

1. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    We have had our buck Rudy for two months now... When we first got him the seller advised I should always pet/touch him daily which I do. As of late, Rudy wants to take nips at my shirt sleeves or hands and is starting to bump me lightly... This can get quite anoying when I am trying to do work in their barn... I usually hand them each a treat by hand every day... some times twice... My question is, If Rudy continues to nip and bump me... should I purchase one of those hand held zappers?.... Would that help or harm his actions? What other alternative do I have? Thanks much...

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would get a spray bottle and spray him in the face to back him off. If you do not get this stopped now you will be in trouble very soon. I wuld also pop him on the nose as he nips.

Does he have a friend in with him? If he does not have a friend, he needs one.

3. jberter

jberter New Member

I have a boer buck who is 2 years old now,, but he has never pushed his space or got into mine like that,, he does like to lick you though on the hand,, :roll: hummm,, Sweetgoats,, what mixture is in the spray bottle?? or is it just plain water?? :scratch: Do you have any pictures of your boy Rudy,, would love to see him.. :wave:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He is testing you....be the boss..... spray bottle idea is good to try......

Get a horse whip...and when he tries to nip.... take the handle side and bap him flat handled.......sideways....on the mouth area... don't hit him in the eye....don't poke him...... kinda smack him....that way ....you won't be putting your hand in danger..... by smacking him..... hit him.... semi lightly ..at first ....if no response.... hit a little harder.....

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have put a little vinegar in the water bottle with the water. It will sting but not hurt.

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    those zapper things <whatever they are called> can be a good investment in case the spray bottle doesn't work. A woman I know has one, she doesn't like to use it unless she has too. They know what it is and what it can do, and know when she brings it out, they better behave. She bought it to keep some aggressive does under control at feeding time so they wouldn't be so mean towards the others. But it also keeps her buck in line. Once we all went in her pen and he was all over us, because he's spoiled rotten, but some of the kids were terrified of him. He of course was as stubborn as a box of rocks <silly boy>, and she brought it out, all he did was look at it and respected the distance....hehe.... But again he's a silly boy and the minute that thing disappeared, he was back over looking for attention.
    So I think you can definitely get Rudy's attention with it, and it might make him 'think' before he acts.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The cattle prods...... IMO.... are a little drastic...it may make them meaner....when it comes to the point.... they can't and won't take it anymore..... I was told by another breeder ...that is a no ...no... I never used them myself and won't.... :wink:

8. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    Hello Moe =) I myself don't like to use spray bottles to deal with aggression because I use spray bottles for applying homemade fly repellents, sunblock and all kinds of other things and I don't want them to be afraid of them.
    I personally would go more along this route in dealing with him
    http://goat-link.com/content/view/160/183/

I did this once with a black bull calf named Harley that kept knocking me over and charged me a few times. My aunt that owned him planned to keep him as a breeding bull and him being so aggressive at only 5 months old was a little scary in my opinion. Well, he shoved me one day and I turned around and grabbed the far legs under his belly, dropped him and sat on him lol I probably had to sit there talking to him for a good hour and half before I could get up without him freaking out again. After that I never had another issue with him. Now he is about 6 years old and HUGE. To this day he is one of my best buddies when I go visit my aunt in Washington and I can't help but giggle when most of her stock hands stare dumbfounded at this giant bull fallowing me around like a puppy lol I guess it's a good thing he still thinks I can kick his rear :p
    Sorry for the story but I figure it might help to know how this kind of method worked out for me.
    I sure wish you the best of luck in what ever route you take. An aggressive animal of any kind is no fun to deal with!!

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The squirt bottle does work...if you want to use the vinegar but don;t want him afraid of a spray bottle, use a small squirt gun...the cheapie ones work great! So does the flipping and sitting on them...did it with my wether and my nigi buck...my buck screamed like a baby cause I wouldn;t let him up, after he quieted down I let him up. He's not agressive, just annoying with his spitting and tongue flapping at me.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    i do understand about the spray bottle if you use fly spray and stuff, but like Liz said I have heard of a lot of people using the squirt guns, that is a GREAT idea and I keep forgetting about that.

Now for the link above, I do tell people to flip them also but there is no way in heck I would get down to flip one of my bucks with their horns for one and two, they are way to big.

11. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Before Romeo was wethered I had to grab him by the horns and "bull dog" him to the ground. I was huffing and puffing and sweating but he got the point. I think the other goats laughed at him. It was so funny to look up and see everyone standing around us like they had placed a bet. He turned his nose up and trotted to the other side of the yard. He wouldn't even look at me the rest of the day. :laugh:

Gina

12. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    "Rudy" Got me good yesterday when I went out to feed them last evening... He came up and pushed his way into me to get at the feed bucket. I popped him in the side of the nose; He lowered his head and about bowled me over. Almost tore my jeans in the crotch area... not a good thing... this morning when I feed them, and if he does it again, we will have a long sit down talk. I will tackle him down and just sit on him for a bit. Would hate to put him down as I don't think he is really mean... Just trying to be a big brother or something along those lines.. will keep you posted...

13. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Jberter; Please check my other posts; "Rudy Stretching" to see him... ad other goats...

14. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Well, We have an interesting development this a.m. It seems the "Rudy's" recent behavior is due to a doe that has just came in heat... which brings up another set of issues... This is all part of my learning curve these past few months... You see I purchased four goats... 1 buck and 3 does... one of the does (which is pg) is the one with the bad horn (bad debudding).... the doe I have that is now in heat (born polled) was supposed to be pg, but has come in heat 3 times since her arrival... I was assured that she had been pg before and delivered a set of twins... are polled does harder to get pg? I must say that when you think you have read enough... there is always something else to learn... would hate to think that "Rudy" just doesn't have what it takes... so will keep an eye on the doe again...

15. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    If you are planning to use a squirt bottle as you first line of defence, please make sure its set to stream. Speaking from experience...mist just doesn't cut it.

16. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    How old is your buck? How does he compare in size to you does?

My Saanen buck doesnt seem to have what it takes to be an ideal sire, He will mount and breed a doe once and then wants to be friendly. My younger bucks will follow a doe all day trying to breed, but of course they are not registrable either :GAAH:.

As far as the aggression, Im not sure how to handle that but I have heard of people forcing the bucks nose into the dirt/ground to show dominance, Dont know how well thats would work with a full grown buck though. I did have a horse that was untrusted because of this type of attitude but she grew out of it after being popped on the nose a couple of times.

17. jberter

jberter New Member

:wave: found the picture of your boy stretching on the tree,, boy,, he is a handsome guy,, and big.. :love: Maybe having a 3 foot long/and about 3"wide board for smacking him on the nose and squirting him at the same time in the face would work for his uppityness,,, sounds like he is trying out his roll as herd buck in ernest.. when you start correcting him,,, Just don't give up until he says UNCLE and turns away from you... I never turn my back on Fudge my 2 year old Boer buck for that reason,, so far he has never challanged me,, but then again,, hormons play a big part with these guys when you lest exspect it..... :shocked:

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Do you know for sure she is coming into heat? I ask that because I swear that one of my does is coming into heat over and over, matter of fact I took her back to the buck I was so sure, but I THINK she might be starting to show a bit (she is a very big girl and very long) so she hides the baby well (she has only ever given me singles boys).
    When would the girls be due if they are prego?

19. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Wow, this is getting stranger by the day... One minute, Rudy can't get enought of "Cinderella" now he is not interested.... In the past this was a 2-3 day aggressive courtship... this was just a 1 day stroll in the park... I just don't know at this time... I dd see Cinderella flagging a couple of time in the a.m. but not now.. no discharge like previous times... so I guess we will just watch and see... Hoping she is pregnant.... previous own advises that her set of previous twins were just beautiful with traditional colors, though she is total read with white front feet... will keep you all posted... thanks for all your help... >>>Jberter: thanks... he is the character, but has since settled down....ifhe acts up again it going to be mano y mano...... :)