Buck storage question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Thanatos, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok I get that with basic precautions keepin a buck wont make milk stinky so no problem there. My question's are, how likley is a ND to breed to a Nubian doe? with out a bail or platform help i mean :wink: .

My other question is can I keep a buck in a pen by himself if its near the girls or should I get him a wether buddy?

BTW I am lookin at one of Bob's bucks Sonny if Billy get snatched :greengrin: I'll pick him up on the trip out to Pa in July. Yay Bob :leap:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If there's a will there's a way ...they may figure it out or some times the doe may figure out a way for him.....if you have low or high spots in your field or?.... :wink:

yes it is OK....to have him by himself if he can see the girls....you can do it either way ...though...

Oh I can't blame you for wanting Bob's little guy he is so adorable...that is so exciting... :leap:

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Well let just say that there are an awful lot of mini Nubian out there and they came from breeding a Nigerian buck to a Nubian doe :wink:

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Yep, I told the wife that for unregistered ND that I didn't feel a few hour drive for a breeding was worth it. She said well mabey you can get one on the way out. I just mentioned that Bob MIGHT :wink: have a buck available and that he was in Pa right on that red line that MapQ said I was gonna drive...... Then she saw the pics and it was done.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes ...I know how she feels.... I melt ...when I see Bob's little babies... :love:

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    She was worried bout CAE but I told her most of yall are VERY concentious about it so that it shouldn't at issue

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I don't think it would be an issue either... :wink:
    but you can ask Bob...I am sure he will be honest with you... :greengrin:

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I did. He hasn't tested, but mom looks good(no clinical sings) and I will send out or Pay to have Bob do it for me. Better th $26 now than a sick herd.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    there ya go......that is a great idea.... :wink: :greengrin:

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I don't test yet either, but most of my herd has came from tested herds and some had tested negative.
    Good luck! Hope everything comes back OK!

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    It should be fine.... CAE dosen't seem to spead sexually, just blood to blood and in colostrum. So the chance of a buck infecting an uninfected doe is like winnin the lottery. based on what I can get from the info on the web.

Not that this is at issue here at all Bob :greengrin: just talkin.

12. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I wouldn't keep any bucks with does if I didn't want kids out of the doe. They will find a way eventually...

Also, it's quite fine to keep bucks by themselves. My pygmy buck is alone except for breeding does. I dont run him with my Nubian bucks because he has horns and I wont risk an injury to the Nubian bucks.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a wether buddy will make him happier.

the kid cant be tested for CAE until he is 6 months old but you can get the parents tested. Ty might have already been tested as I know Ashely tests (Bob bought Ty off Ashely).

14. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Bob I have a pgymy that is a horn toad if you ever would like to breed with him. Pancakes loves his girls. Trust me he loves the girls.

15. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Our Nigerians have bred our Nubian doe's successfully, now we just raise Mini-Nubians, we no longer breed the Nigerians anymore, we sold out of them a couple or so years ago.