The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'all. I have a 2 year old Buck that was surgically neutered by a vet yesterday (9-13-13) and was in perfect health up until his surgery.

As of yesterday afternoon he hasn't eaten a bite of anything, not feed, not hay, not cookies, nothing. He wasn't drinking water either and he had a runny nose and harder breathing. Stayed away from everyone and laying down in his hutch.

This morning I called the vet and he said he thought it was pneumonia and to give 5cc of LA200 so I did that.

He has gotten up a few times today, but only for a few minutes and is drinking a little water. His nose and breathing is better, but he's still spending his time alone and not eating. Doesn't feel good at all.

I'm worried sick about my boy. Can anyone please offer some advice or help me, help him...PLEASE!

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Do you have Banamine? I would give him a shot of Banamine. I would also give him a B Complex shot and some Probios along with electrolyte water.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any banamine, vet gave it to him twice yesterday and said he wouldn't need it again, so wouldn't send any home with me.

I have Fortified Vitamin B Complex, probios and electrolyte water powder. He weighs about 150, so how much B Complex should I give him? It's liquid and do I give orally or SQ? Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I agree with Karen...I bet he hurts..the banamine will ease that for him and the B complex will increase his apptite.. keep up with the antibiotics for 5 full days...

here is a home made elcetro recipe he might like..also offer green leaves .. might encourage him to eat....
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
5 cc per 100# of fortified B complex Sub Q...

if you have adult aspirin you can give him 2 ....

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vet said only give 5cc of LA200 every other day?!?! I will make him some of that water, thank you for the recipe. I also have some green sweet gum leaves I will offer.

I don't have any banamine though, wish I did. :(

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
If it were me I would give 1 cc per 20# daily for five days..Goat metabolism works faster than any other rumants. I prefere Tylan 200 for Puenomia myself..but since the vet started him on LA 200 I would continue that medication...

there are online vet places you can sign up for and get what you need. SOme vets do not cooperate with us goat people...

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
pneumonia is most likely what it is. That and bloat are the two most dangerous effects of putting a goat under. If he wasnt put into the right position while the sedative was wearing off, his saliva most likely leaked into his lungs. The right position is all feet folded under him, laying straight up as if he was laying down (not on his side) with his head down, snout on the floor. There shoulda been a puddle of saliva.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i'll bet he does hurt!! None of my Business but why would you do that to a 2 yr old buck? Goats do not do well under surgical procedures, but your vet should have told you that. Well, too late now so lets see if we can get him feeling better poor guy. What is his temp? Since your vet sounds like a jerk by not sending banamine home, try ibuprofen. How much does he weigh? we use double the children's dose of liquid ibuprofen according to weight it does agreat job on pain and fever.continue with LA200 daily not every other day, unless you can talk your vet into giving him some Draxin. Of course he probably wont, why would he let you have something that works? Cathy's homemade electrolytes are great! but you may have to drench him if he is that miserable. Is his hutch dry and reasonably warm?you need to check him every couple of hours to make sure he isnt out flat. you can prop him up with a bale of hay if you need too.Good luck !!

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am about to loose it. :(

I had to have him fixed because he was staying in rut driving all my other goats crazy. Not to mention the constant hollering he did all hours of the night waking the neighbors. Also his daughter was born May and I don't have the room for more goats, 1 fenced acre. I'm not a goat farmer, but I love my goats more than anything. They are spoiled beyond belief and very much loved. They are all big sweet babies who can shake hands, play hide and seek and love rides in the wheelbarrow.

I have three, 3 year old whethers, Silas, Zeke, Boodie and one 2 year old Nanny, Sara and her 5 month old baby girl, Sadie Mae and my 2 year old Stanley who was fixed Friday. I waited to have him fixed because I banded 2 of my boys when they were 5-7 months old and everybody said it was inhumane and surgery was the best option. Then I heard surgery wasn't easy on them either, but at this point he's 1.5 years old. I put it off another 6 or so months then was told this was truly my only other option.

I asked the vet a hundred questions and he assured me this was safe. I had no idea this could happen. I asked about more pain meds for him, the vet said he wouldn't need them and would be fine by the next day. Well he's not fine, he's sick.

His breathing is better and since I wiped his nose this afternoon there's not anymore dried or wet mucus. I can't hear him breathing like yesterday, but he clearly doesn't feel well. He won't eat a bite of anything, but he is drinking a little water and still strong as a bull (gave him the shot and had to hold him down) and he will get up and stand with his head up for a few minutes then he goes back to his hutch and lays down. His voice is raspy though and I don't like that at all.

I put down fresh straw and yes it's dry and warm. His hutch along with 3 others are under a 2 car portable carport that is open right now but will enclosed for winter. Fresh water and hay is given daily along with medicated nurtrena goat feed. Also I cut limbs from our trees and give to them. Since they are in my fenced backyard and not in the woods or pasture I spend a lot of time in the woods scouting and cutting safe trees and treats for them and then cleaning up whatever they don't eat.

I can't loose my Stanley and I will do whatever it takes to help him get better. My closest goat vet is an hour away, but I'm not above waking him up and driving Stanley to help if he needs it.

I gave him 7 ccs of the vitamin b and some probios. His belly is making noises and he is now grinding his teeth. No food, but laying with feet under him, head upish, eyes closed in his hutch. I laid down beside him and he laid his chin on my arm. I couldn't help but to cry thinking I did this to him and now I don't know what to do. I'm scared to drench him for fear I'll push it in his lungs and he is drinking on his own.

So I'm begging you to please help me, help him. Thank you all that have offered advice thus far. I'm listening and will try anything.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
This would be a good time to give him a dark beer. It will get his rumen working better, make him feel hungry, and reduce his pain.
It is an old remedy that can work very well. Just let him drink about half now and half in a couple hours.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Many Bucks have successfully be wethered late in years..you did nothing wrong...the vet shouldhave known to take proper care during surgery..and to send Banamine home with you..some vets just dont hget it at all...
ok..sounds like his rumen is off...C D Antitoxin or Milk of Magnesia will help bind toxins buiding in his gut...any time the rumen shuts down this is a worry...if you dont have C D Antitoxin..M.O.M is 15 cc per 60#..he might get soft stools from it..let it run its course and clean his system out...keep electrolytes and green leaves and hay in front of him...probios to help restore flora..or dark beer as Goat hiker suggested...I would also give about 1 teaspoon of baking soda in enough water to drench ....

thisis the link to look up vet on line to get what you need without a a prescription from your vet..its nice to be ableot have on hand what yo need with out begging for it.
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/cant-get-your-vet-give-you-meds-try-145174/

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Totally and fully agree with happy. A buck can be castrated at any age with the same risks. Here, because we wait till the 5th month to have the pack prospects done, they cant and we wouldnt use the banding method for reasons I can go into great detail about. So in stead we use the burdizzo method. Our vet, puts them under and crushes the cords. He knows we are good for pain meds so that isnt a worry. BUT if we didnt, he would give us some. So that is for sure where your vet did wrong. I am not sure of what method he used, but other then early banding, a castration is going to be painful for the boy for at least a week. Sometimes two. Hell, ask a man who has been snipped how long it hurt and he will say the same thing, a week at least.

The two reasons I mentioned before are the main reason putting goats under is dangerous. AND because each goat is different, there really is no set sedation to weight ratio that a vet can follow and know for sure if it will be to little or not enough. The best they can do is go by the suggested amount or by trial and error. I can tell you this for a FACT. You can take two bucks the same weight. One being lean and in shape and one that is just a few % points more body fat and the fatter one will be out for upwards of twice as long. We had two buyers come back to have our vet do the castration on their goats cause they couldnt find a decent vet in their area. They each had 3, 5 month old bucks. One of the guys was giving his goats to much grain while the other guy was just using grain for training and his goats were just a touch leaner looking. The leaner goats were done first. One of them was only out for 10 minutes and was up standing nearly right after his castration. His two pen mates where up in 40 minutes. The other 3 boys that had just a few extra lbs of fat instead of muscle were down for nearly 3 and a half hours. They all got the same amount of sedation meds. The cool thing was, my vet actually stated, they were going to take longer to wake up.

Sorry to ramble on but I just wanted to put you at ease. There is a risk anytime you put a goat or really anything under. But with a good knowledgeable vet, the risk is usually minimal. So, dont fret about that. I would contact the vet and inisist on some pain meds. And to make sure its not pneumonia, and at a quite time, put your head on his side and listen to see if you hear any rasp coming from his breathing.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The older the animal is when castrated, the harder it will knock him down. Concentrate on providing supportive care - probios, vitamin B, vitamin C to bolster his immune system, LA 200 to knock out the pneumonia, try a little molasses in his water to entice him to drink. I think I would be finding me a new vet, too. I don't get the LA 200 for pneumonia when there are better options, but maybe that is just me.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice. :grouphug:

We made it through the night ok and he slept good. He's up this morning in front of the hay rack looking at it, but not eating. He is fussing at everyone this morning and he's voice sounds a lot better.

I'm going to get him a dark beer, make some of that water, give more probios and Vitamin B and LA200. He has fresh leaves, hay, feed with animal crackers and vanilla wafers.

My brother has a lot of horse owners and dairy farmer friends so he's going to get me some banamine for him today at church.

Stanley and me thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your help!

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also I'm getting some C D antitoxin from TSC today. I started to get that yesterday, but didn't think it would help him with pneumonia. But I'll get it today.

Your kindness has really touched my heart. I love Goat People so much!

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
So glad he is up..yes he will be grumpy..he hurts : ) Be sure when picking up the C D Antitoxin its no CD&T or Tetenus Antitoxin....its not going ot help his pneumonia but it will help his gut issue : )

Good to hear your brother is going to find him Banamine. !! It will help him get through the day...best wishes!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts