The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was browsing craigslist for farm & garden supplies and came across an ad for a registered saanen BUCK that has such great milking lines he even produces milk himself! So question, is he actually a hermaphrodite and wouldn't this damage your genetics? I have never heard of such of thing.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Nope, not a hermie!

Some bucks from excellent milking lines do actually produce milk themselves! There were pictures posted in a recent thread of a champion stud with udders. Crazy, huh?!

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
Yes, there are actually bucks out there that have an udder. Rare, but possible. There was an article about it that I read...I think it was in Dairy Goat Journal, but I can't remember where exactly I read that. The bucks that had them came from heavy milk lines. They were indeed fertile bucks. Not hermaphrodites. Crazy...but true.

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
The udders don't look the same though...More like enlarged teats on each side of the testes. I know someone once who used to run her milking buck through the milk string with the does.

·
Registered
597 Posts
WOW ... I must go have a chat to my boy ...!!

Well thats something for those who don't count it worth having your own buck just to freshen the girls!

One drawback though ... surely the active musk glands must wreak havoc with the flavor!!?

I wonder how the lactation is started ... with does of course its a hormonal thing with parturition and all that ... I know does can sometime freshen without breeding though.

Maybe in bucks its a similar kickstart process to the "Maiden Milker" phenomena? (in which case its no surprise its so rare)

·
Registered
584 Posts
this is very unusual!:doh: i just can't believe!!!:hair:what the.....
a buck that has milk! well since everybody believes i have to too!!!:crazy:
:p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts