Buck trying to mate with pregnant does

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Ariel301, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    My young buck took a while to figure out his job, but now that he has, he won't stop! He has his own pen, but he seems to find ways to get in with the does at least once a week. He will mount them and attempt (often successfully) to mate even if they are not in heat and show no interest in him. He chases a doe into a corner where she can't get away from him!

I am pretty sure two of the does in question are 1-2 months pregnant now. Is he putting their pregnancies in any danger with this behavior? I try hard to keep him away from them, but he's sneaky.

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Yes he is putting them in danger of a miscarriage if he gets too rough .... you need to confine him as the does will be better off.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yes, you need to keep him away from her. I know you said he keeps getting out, but you have to figure out how and prevent it. Is he jumping the fence? I have one that does it.

I know when my boys get out they will follow some of the girls around and then they leave them alone.

Are you 100% sure she is bred? She she the only one he chases? Maybe she did not take.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I completely agree with the others....he needs to stay away from the does.....whatever it takes....I know ...they are good escape artists...... :wink:

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Yeah, I figured it wasn't good for them. He jumps fences if they are low enough, bolts through his gate when I open it, works the latch on the does' gate to get it...I'm going to put a lock on their gate so he can't open it. His pen has 7 foot fences, and I figured out he would climb on top of his house and then jump from there over the fence! If all else fails, maybe he can vacation for a while at a friend's house.

I'm not 100% sure that the pregnant does took, since I haven't had pregnancy tests or ultrasound done, but I'm pretty sure. He chases anything female, whether it's in heat or not! If the does don't want to stand for him, he just forces them into a corner so they can't get away... :roll: