Buck with electric fencing?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Perfect7, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    All of my goats are kept in the pasture with 5 strands of electrical wire (3 hot, 2 ground). It's the heavy gauge braided polywire with a heavy-duty 50 mile "zap till your arm goes numb" charger (goes all the way to the top of my 5000 watt fence tester at the furthest point). Everybody respects the fence and does well to avoid it. The buck pen is likewise fenced with 5 strands of electrical and our nearly 5 month old buckling also avoids the wire. We are getting another fb boer buckling this weekend and plan to keep two together for breeding (not each other :p ), but I'm imagining 200+ lbs bucks during breeding season once they grow up.
    Will they try to smash through the fence even if they are raised with it and respect it while little? Anybody else used electrical only for a buck pen with success? I can't recall the weight limit on the polywire but I had a horse hit it once and bounce back off like a boxing ring. The t-post bent all over but the wire remained intact. :laugh: Thanks! Just wondering if I need to start looking for cattle or pig panels soon.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm gonna find out here soon enough if electric will keep a determined buck away from the girls...so far all of my boys have been staying put, 2 bucks and 1 wether. My mini's tend to start getting rutty around the end of July so thats just about here.

I would imagine that if yours kept a horse in it will keep a buck in....in my case, my bucks and does have galvanized panel pens which extend out to electric pastures, if the zappy fence don't hold the boys, I can always just shut the gate and enclose them in the pen and the same for the does, alternating the days each can get pasture without chancing accidental breedings.

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thanks, Liz! I guess I will find out soon enough. Please update if it doesn't work for you as you enter breeding season and I will do something different if it doesn't.