Buck with large cyst on side

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by epetruescu, Apr 14, 2018.

1. epetruescu

epetruescu New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I have a Nigerian dwarf buck (KitKat)who has a large cyst on his left side near his ribs. Last month he ran into a cattle panel that had a wire sticking out. The cyst is the size of a grape fruit (just noticed it half an hour ago) and he pulled the hair off from it. It is painful to the touch and i tried to feel to see if i could feel intestine or anything. I thought that it would just be filled with pus so i got a small needle (to be careful) to see what was in it. I poked it underneath the skin and tried removing fluid but there was only air. When i took the needle out it bubbled for a split second and bled a little bit. Im going to go and buy a large needle and some other supplies. I dont believe his life is in danger (but it was without me noticing).
    I cut a 16 footer in half and the exposed part wasnt supposed to be accessible from the goats but he goat out from a gap between two panels. When he saw me he ran back through but got caught on the wire it stopped him for a split second but then he went back in. i have since fixed the problem and I kept an eye on him for a week or two and did not see any visible signs of a wound. He ended up becoming sick for a while but he just recently got better. He didnt eat much and would assert his dominance on the other bucks. I check him physically and he was bloated so i gave him free choice baking soda and changed his feed from alfalfa to orchard grass hay.
    This is really bad management on my part. I take care of the girls very well and they are very healthy but im ashamed to say that i don't pay that much attention to the buck. He is very low maintenance and does not like me since i always run after him whenever he breaks into the girl's pen. I separated him from everyone else and am making sure he eats and drinks. He is still a little off than how he typically is but a lot better than before.
    Any tips and suggestions? I plan on relieving the cyst but if it is only filled with air and not puss ill probably bring him to the vet Monday. I have bad experiences with vets. My animals never really needed to visit one expect for one who ended up having a tumor and a puppy who contracted parvo.

2. epetruescu

epetruescu New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I placed some iodine on it.

Attached Files:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hate to say this but, a vet needs to look at it.

Are there any other vets around?

4. epetruescu

epetruescu New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I only know of 2 large animal vets near me, UC Davis and Loomis. The would is on his chest and Im going to remove his hair around the wound to get a better look. The wound isnt bloody and when I placed a needle in it no blood came out except for a few drops. If it were a hurnia it would bleed. If it were a tumor it would bleed more and instead of getting better he would be getting worse. Since part of it has a scab on it I think the original wound got infected and needs to be cleaned out.
    I got a larger needle and I'll see if it is pus inside or not. If it's pus then I think I can deal with it otherwise I'll definetly go Monday since he is doing good and running around.
    After watching some videos online about cysts and abcesses it looks really similar to the stuff i saw. Thinking back, I don't think it is filled with air or gasses since the needle couldn't release any of it. It's probably justpus and it would need a larger opening to get releived. I would like to have as much experience as possible and get comfortable with things like this since I plan on having livestock for the rest of my life.

I'm going call a vet before I do anything now that I'm going through it in my head.

5. epetruescu

epetruescu New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I believe I was mistaken about it "being filled with air". I watch too many vet videos and thought of the worst thing. I only saw a really small bubble and thought the worst. A needle would've released some pressure if it did have air in it

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you have air coming out, it may be build up from a wound, that may of become septic, which is very bad if that is the case.

Is the cyst soft or hard?

It shouldn't be lanced if it isn't ready,it must be ripe and soft.

CL is another thing that comes to mind, I hope it isn't.

Getting any goo tested may be wise in case.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  7. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine