The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here and looking for some help with my lamancha buck. He is 1 1/2 years old and friday night he ate some plants that have made him sick.
I have been treating and need to the next step to help him eat since he is interested and trying to take a bite on a hazelnut tree.
Background: he vomited brown cud all over stall, hay manger, water, on friday evening after eve brouse. I gave rhodie poision treatment from fiasco farms site. Was kinda ok. Next day not eating, low temp, gave thiamine and c&d antitoxin- not in treatment dose-only 11cc Was feeling better, nibbling, sucking molasses water from drench. Temp up to 102 About 4 hrs later vomit again was sick. Temp was low 97. Gave mylanta, more c&d anti toxin and a tonic of whiskey/coffee/molasses and temp has been up and down. Seems to improve the more tonic, thiamine and antitoxin he has had. Gave more antitoxin about 5am& 5:3am= 22cc temp was down to 95. He has had drizzle pee and pellet poo this afternoon.
--Now is 99 and is sipping water on his own. Is interested in a hazelnut tree leaves. What can I do now to help his rumen restart? And not send him vomiting. TIA Monkey

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was giving sub q in the neck. Since he is not vomiting now I havnt given anything since 13 hrs ago. Also I only have maybe 8cc left. Is there anything else to give? How much longer does he need it?

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
You did good!! Continue C D Antitoxin until he is 100% better..Milk of magnesia will help if you run out of CD Antitoxin..Probiotics are needed to restore flora in the rumen.B complex is a good support vit. .offer him green leaves , hay and or alfalfa..no feed for a while..hard to digest...continue the Electrolytes..
Good job!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only electrolites given was molasses water that he runs from and that 3cc of tonic. What would be best? I have electrolight powder I can add to the water he is sipping on. Would the powder be enough?

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
I'd give him some Activated Charcoal as well, any toxins left in his body will bind to it and it'll help him clear them out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will start proboitics now and give the last 5cc of antitoxin. 20cc of mylanta every 6 hours sound ok? I have some alfafa I can offer him, but he doesnt usually have that. Would it be ok? Thank you sooo much. He is really skinny and I am worring not having him actually eating or even drinking well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:linz, I am afraid to use the charcol. I had tried befor and lost a goat with using it. I would like to avoid it if possible.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
I would continue the mylanta..I prefer M.O.M since it doesnt have the anti-acid medication in it..but mylanta is better than using nothing..The idea is to bind toxins building in the rumen while its off...
I would offer him what ever he will drink..powder electro, cool aid water...just get him drinking so he can flush his kidneys...if he just wants water thats ok too..
Try green leaves from a tree source over alfalfa if you have any...green leaves are easy to digest and seen as a treat..goats will most often eat them when the wont eat anything else..if you don't have any leaves..offer the alfalfa..but just a handful..

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Mylanta is NOT the same as Milk of Magnesia..... please dose him with M.O.M. It does not have to be Philips brand but can be a store brand, the MOM and Mylanta are 2 different meds and each treat different ailments, the MOM will help bind toxins and move them out of his system, follow up with probiotics.
M.O.M dose is 15cc per 50lbs

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
MOM is magnesium hydroxide, Mylanta has magnesium Hydroxide init..but also has aluminum hydroxide and simethicone
MOM is a laxitive and antiacid...Mylanta says its just an antiacid...

im not sure how these two other meds will effect goats..Ive never used mylanta for them. But Iwould pick up some MOM or generic as soon as can just in case..:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am sooo HAPPY!!!! he wanted to graze!!! I let him and he walked around nibbling!!! So I gave the last of the anti toxin and more thimine. Added vit and eloctrolites to the water and will give probios in a minute. I am soooo relieved. Thank you all for responding. I was getting really worried since he was still not eating and drinking. Thank you all so very much for your support!!!!!

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Thats wonderful news...

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
you did great with him..quick thinking with cd antitoxin and thiamine : )

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Hows your buck this morning?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts