The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little buck that’s about 5 months old. We had a windy day yesterday, I noticed his eye was puffy and he was squinting today, when I investigated further I found somthing stuck in his eye, it looks like hay. But here’s the thing, when I went to pull it out I found the object was partially imbedded INTO the inside of his eyelid. I don’t want to hurt him by tugging. Is this somthing I just have to pull out? Does it look like hay to you? Is it time to call a vet?.. I don’t want to pull anything out that I shouldn’t and hurt him, but I don’t want him to stay uncomfortable. I’ll add a picture. If this is a situation where I can avoid the vet that would be ideal.
Eye Carnivore Human body Ear Dog breed

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
I have a little buck that’s about 5 months old. We had a windy day yesterday, I noticed his eye was puffy and he was squinting today, when I investigated further I found somthing stuck in his eye, it looks like hay. But here’s the thing, when I went to pull it out I found the object was partially imbedded INTO the inside of his eyelid. I don’t want to hurt him by tugging. Is this somthing I just have to pull out? Does it look like hay to you? Is it time to call a vet?.. I don’t want to pull anything out that I shouldn’t and hurt him, but I don’t want him to stay uncomfortable. I’ll add a picture. If this is a situation where I can avoid the vet that would be ideal. View attachment 216098

Eyes and sight are not something to mess around with. Have the vet out.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If it didn't come out on its own with a saline flush get the vet out asap. You don't want to be pulling on stuff in an eye and eye trauma is very hard to recover from. I had one doe get poked in the eye with a piece of hay. Nothing stuck but it scratched her eye. Even with treatment, flushes and ointments she didn't have full vision in that eye. Another thing to think about is the infection possibilities with hay. One adult friend when I was younger got a piece in their eye when feeding their horses. They blinked it out and didn't think much about it and they ended up with a horrible eye infection. So please go ahead and have the vet out and they will most likely give you ointments and antibiotics as a preventative after they get it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a little buck that’s about 5 months old. We had a windy day yesterday, I noticed his eye was puffy and he was squinting today, when I investigated further I found somthing stuck in his eye, it looks like hay. But here’s the thing, when I went to pull it out I found the object was partially imbedded INTO the inside of his eyelid. I don’t want to hurt him by tugging. Is this somthing I just have to pull out? Does it look like hay to you? Is it time to call a vet?.. I don’t want to pull anything out that I shouldn’t and hurt him, but I don’t want him to stay uncomfortable. I’ll add a picture. If this is a situation where I can avoid the vet that would be ideal. View attachment 216098
It looks like a piece of hay or grass stuck in the eye...my buckling had this too lol

But what your going to do is flush it with saline solution, if it doesn't come out then, use a q-tip and fold the q-tip in half and use the 2 soft spots as tweezers, and carefully and slowly try and move it out of his eye. If that doesn't work or you are too scared then call a vet!

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Definitely agree this is for a vet.

Best wishes!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your responses! It did turn out to be a piece of hay. We were able to work it out and it’s now out of his eye. He looks and feels much better. I’ll attach a picture of what was lodged in his eye lid, the portion in red is what was stuck under his skin. Posting for future if this happens to anyone else.
Wood Rectangle Grey Font Tints and shades

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you all for your responses! It did turn out to be a piece of hay. We were able to work it out and it’s now out of his eye. He looks and feels much better. I’ll attach a picture of what was lodged in his eye lid, the portion in red is what was stuck under his skin. Posting for future if this happens to anyone else.
View attachment 216126
Glad you were able to get it out!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please still remember the chance of infection. Any thing that had been on the hay would of gone in with it which can lead to some left behind bacteria. If nothing else at least give vitamin c to help.
Fully aware. He is being treated with a antibiotic eye cream. Even though I didn’t have to take him in to the vet he’s still under vet care and our vet is fully aware of the situation and treating him for prevention of infection. Thanks 😊

1 - 14 of 14 Posts