Buck with UC

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by badnewsboers, Feb 12, 2009.

1. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I talked to my breeder friend Robby today. He co-owns this buck I adore (throws the best does and really nice lines) named Kapow. I was shocked to find out that he had UC. The vet had already been out and cut off the pizzle and emptied his bladder. They've been treating him with acid pack. At this point they are ready to try anything. They are trying to get some AC. I send him a recipe I've seen for natural treatment of UC.

UC Treatment

* 1/2 red onion
    * Juice from 3 lemons
    * 6 pods garlic
    * 1/4 C distilled water

Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Blend in a food processor and allow to cool. Drench goat with all of the liquid. Repeat treatment after 12 hours, then 24 hours, and every 48 hours (3x).

I would really hate for them to lose this buck and and out of ideas. Do you guys have any suggestions?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I have heard that straight apple cider vinegar drenched works. I remember a site refering to this and I had saved it. I had to reformat my harddrive and lost most of my links but I will see if I can find it again.

I found the article I was looking for on goat link but its been changed to say that ACV does not work. Good luck with the buck.

3. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    If you could that's be wonderful. I've heard conflicting things on ACV.

4. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    I know this is going to sound strange but I'll share anyway. We had some problems with UC before and lost some to death and saved one. We were beginning to have some trouble again with some younger wethers we had. At that time it was hot and I was giving them Gatorade in their water for as they love it and I thought it would help with the hot weather. After summer I started them on Kool aid in their water because they love to drink it with flavoring. Since I have been using Gatorade and Kool aid I have not had one case of UC again and still have the same goats that had the problems earlier. Does anyone think the Gatorade or Kool aid has made a difference? Maybe they drink more flushing the system out. Maybe it is acidic and that helps. Don't know but it sure has been nice not to have anymore UC problems and this has been over a year. I also have not changed any feeding as well.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The extra water will help with UC due to the flushing action. This is one of the reasons its recommended to add more salt to the diet. The salt makes them thirsty and they drink more water.

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Yeah I keep electrolytes in my bucks water for that reason.

And thanks crocee.

7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Well I talked to Robby today. The buck is still hanging in there. They've gotten at least 4 stones out of him. He said the recipe I gave him made Kapow pee a river but then he went back to straining. He was even bleeding at one point. But now he had stopped straining. So he figures either the buck is better or he busted open his bladder. If its the latter he should go downhill pretty quick so they'll know soon enough.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ...poor guy... :( ..I pray he will pull though...... :pray:

9. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    What kind of hay is this guy on and is he grained?

10. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    He's on coastal bermuda and gets some grain. I believe they're feeding a peanut based feed.