The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I give all my goats loose minerals and every single one of them eat the minerals but not Sprinkles our buck.. nope.. he will just not eat it! The only way I have gotten him to take a bit is by opening his mouth and putting some in there.. and I am just kinda afraid that he’s gonna get to the point where he doesn’t look healthy etc.. because of not having minerals. Is there anything I can give to him that he will eat? Any advice much appreciated..

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,678 Posts
Goats are usually pretty good at knowing if they need minerals or not. Are the minerals free choice? A recent picture would be helpful to see if he is deficient in any thing. Could the minerals be stale? I find it's best to store them in a pet food bin to prevent them from getting stale. Did Sprinkles ever eat minerals? Have you switched brands recently?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goats are usually pretty good at knowing if they need minerals or not. Are the minerals free choice? A recent picture would be helpful to see if he is deficient in any thing. Could the minerals be stale? I find it's best to store them in a pet food bin to prevent them from getting stale. Did Sprinkles ever eat minerals? Have you switched brands recently?
Well maybe 7 months ago or so i switched minerals but decided to switch to this other mineral cause a few of them were not eating it.. here is what I fed them before..

Working animal Pet supply Carnivore Terrestrial animal Snout

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t think they are stale.. cause all the others are eating them and plus I just started on a new bag a little while ago..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No.. I just give them there amount they need each day out of my hand ..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It's really hard to tell how he looks from these pics - blurry and dark.
No.. I just give them there amount they need each day out of my hand ..
Minerals should really be given free choice (24/7) no matter what the instructions on the bag says. Goats know when and how much they need. If you can't put them out 24/7, I would offer them minerals once everyday and let them eat as much as they want (or don't want).

·
Registered
896 Posts
I agree with Dandy Hill Farm....minerals should be offered free choice. They will only eat what they need. Be careful though, some "minerals" are more treats and should be limited, however, the manna pro that you are using can be offered free choice. They may eat more in the beginning, but will slack off once they get what they need.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with Dandy Hill Farm....minerals should be offered free choice. They will only eat what they need. Be careful though, some "minerals" are more treats and should be limited, however, the manna pro that you are using can be offered free choice. They may eat more in the beginning, but will slack off once they get what they need.
Ok definitely will start feeding free choice..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I would honestly look for a different mineral, the one you have, has way too much salt and not enough copper. Here's a great blog post on what to look for in a good mineral Goat Minerals 101 The mineral you have seems more of a salt "supplement" or "treat". I think it has too much salt in it for them to get enough of the other minerals. You will probably have to give a lot of supplements if you chose to keep feeding it.

I really, really like these minerals https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-wind-rain-storm-all-season-75-complete?cm_vc=-10005 I only have to supplement with selenium gel. After switching over to Purina from Manna Pro, I have noticed a huge change in my goats' coat - they look so much better! One bag will last you serval years. I like to store mine in a 50lb pet food bin from Walmart to keep them fresh. I would highly recommend trying them out! Keep in mind this is what works for my herd and location.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would honestly look for a different mineral, the one you have, has way too much salt and not enough copper. Here's a great blog post on what to look for in a good mineral Goat Minerals 101 The mineral you have seems more of a salt "supplement" or "treat". I think it has too much salt in it for them to get enough of the other minerals. You will probably have to give a lot of supplements if you chose to keep feeding it.

I really, really like these minerals https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-wind-rain-storm-all-season-75-complete?cm_vc=-10005 I only have to supplement with selenium gel. After switching over to Purina from Manna Pro, I have noticed a huge change in my goats' coat - they look so much better! One bag will last you serval years. I like to store mine in a 50lb pet food bin from Walmart to keep them fresh. I would highly recommend trying them out! Keep in mind this is what works for my herd and location.
Ok... I will definitely look into that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts