The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buck that has constant nasal discharge (clear not colored) and most of the time a dry cough (on occasion a hacking cough). I have done LA 200, ivermectin, vitamin b, vitamin d and probiotics and nothing has helped. It’s been going on since January 2021 and I’m at my wits end with my vet. All my vet says is to use ivermectin which didn’t work and then if it didn’t work cull him from the herd. But I would like to see if anyone here has had this problem.

Thank you in advance!!

·
8,472 Posts
Have you looked at his environment? This is not a criticism on stall cleanliness.
Get down to his level. How does the area smell? Any musty odors? Ammonia fumes from urine?
What kind of barn is he in? What are the walls and floor made of? How is his hay? Any dust in it?

He may have allergies. Have you tried benedryl for a few days. How was the ivomec administered? Did it contains Corsulon? (Spelling?). It would be the Ivomec plus. That helps with lung worms. Give every 10 days for 3 rounds.

Hopefully others have more insight.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Definitely have a fecal done to explore lungworm. Meadowmistlabs does a fecal test for 6 bucks and an additional 6 for lung worm check.
Do try benedryl....go for a week daily and see how he responds. Dose is human dose based on weight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just went through this with my wether - hacking cough and constant clear snot for weeks until I could get him into a vet, where they gave him Draxxin and that pretty much immediately cleared up his snot. He still has a hacking cough so they gave me Excede and now it does sound like the cough is getting better.

I did try Benadryl and did not see any improvement with his symptoms, and since he has improved with the antibiotics it must have been an upper respiratory infection. What a terrible vet to go straight to culling without trying other meds - I would definitely try to get stronger antibiotics for him somehow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you looked at his environment? This is not a criticism on stall cleanliness.
Get down to his level. How does the area smell? Any musty odors? Ammonia fumes from urine?
What kind of barn is he in? What are the walls and floor made of? How is his hay? Any dust in it?

He may have allergies. Have you tried benedryl for a few days. How was the ivomec administered? Did it contains Corsulon? (Spelling?). It would be the Ivomec plus. That helps with lung worms. Give every 10 days for 3 rounds.

Hopefully others have more insight.
Very clean area with like dog shed houses. Hay isn’t dusty. I did not try Benadryl so I will try that. What is corsulon?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts