The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time i posted a discussion topic it went pretty well so I would like to try it again.
In your herd how do you deem a kid is worthy of keeping his balls and reproducing? What do you look at when choosing a buck? At what point do you decide to get a new buck? When looking at the buck market what are some things that frustrate you that other sellers do that you dont agree with?

·
8,197 Posts
The first is genetics, how well the dam produces milk, udder, etc.
How well the sire throws healthy, kids, his genetics, milkyness, etc.
Is the sire a good guy, not aggressive, not too stupid and good confirmation? Is the kid healthy, good basic confirmation, good personality, not all jumpy and skittish, but not too friendly. (I dislike in your face buck kids). Then the big question, do I like him? Color is a minor consideration, but I have to like the kid, if not, all the above is a moot point!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
For me, in the Boer buck market, breeders are not culling hard enough for narrow horn sets (close together to catch/break legs), Boer ear size and free hanging (not forward pointing with lots of ear control), and splits in the testes.

As for selling bucklings as breeding bucks, their dam is strongly considered (parasite resistance, feet, udder, teats, etc. There are does in my herd whose job is to produce meat animals, not breeding stock because I have found flaws after owning them) and they need to have superior growth compared to their peers. Plus perfect horn set, ears, teats, testes, etc. and has been perfectly healthy throughout his newborn to weaning phase.

I like to keep my breeding bucks quite some time if feasible. The last one became infertile around 9 years old, I had had him for 4 or 5 years maybe. My current buck may not stay as long, his first kid crop this year had two entropian eyelids in 28 kids.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
We're trying to sell 3 of our 7 new boys as bucks. They are Nigerians. Nice personalities. Gorgeous colors. Polled and 2 are blue-eyed. Dam and sire are not top of the line, but they are respectable. They all have great depth of barrel, good body length and fabulous legs. (I have a leg fetish!) Good width between the hocks, straight strides.

The boys we are selling as wethers are adorable, but their dam is not as nice. 2 of the boys are narrow, one is slow growing and the other is just a cutie with nothing special to recommend him except personality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts