The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I really like him! I saw him on Craigslist the other day and considered him, but he was a bit too far away and the owners never listed his price. If you don't mind me asking, what is their farm name?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Thanks :) I live in San Luis Obispo county. The area is far north of us. We wouldn't be too loathe to drive a little farther, though. But I don't see a website for them :confused:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks :) I live in San Luis Obispo county. The area is far north of us. We wouldn't be too loathe to drive a little farther, though. But I don't see a website for them :confused:
Ah nice area! We have a house in Grover Beach.

They don't have a website but if you want his email, PM me. His name is John Alvara and he is a really nice guy. I've harnessed him plenty. ;)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
His hips are a tad higher than his withers (could be from growing)
Bit of a steep rump
I would like to see a teensy bit more strenght in the topline, just a teensy.
and I would like a bit longer neck

Otherwise in my eyes, he is a very nicely built buckling.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
He is a nice boy. I agree with Little-Bits-And-Pieces, his topline/rump isn't the best, but like she said it could just be a growing stage. ;) I think he could use a some more muscling for his age. And he is a little flat fronted and needs a bit more brisket. I like his roman nose head. Overall he is a pretty nice little buck, and I think he will do good for you! :) Good luck with him!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
He is a nice boy. I agree with Little-Bits-And-Pieces, his topline/rump isn't the best, but like she said it could just be a growing stage. ;) I think he could use a some more muscling for his age. And he is a little flat fronted and needs a bit more brisket. I like his roman nose head. Overall he is a pretty nice little buck, and I think he will do good for you! :) Good luck with him!
AHA! Finally! Somebody will agree with me that goats need a brisket! :D
I didn't want to say anything about the brisket this time, because a lot of people are saying meat goats shouldn't have it, but.... that just didn't sound right to me, but I don't like to argue. A brisket is a very inportant part on a goat, they need a moderate size brisket to have a comfortable place for their lungs and heart, to be healthy.
They need brisket!
A goat's front legs and shoulders shouldn't be growing straight out of its neck! The side effects of this I've noticed is a narrow animal, no width in the chest floor and front legs that turn left and right. A goat needs depth of brisket and width; she needs a comfortable place to store her heart and lungs, important organs to help sustain many years to come.

And this is directly to Crossroad Boers; The boer in you signature has a very nice brisket and blending into the neck! :)

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Haha! Thanks for the info about the brisket. That really makes sense! I never thought that it was all that important. I just thought it looked a lot better if a goat had a good brisket. It also seems like goats with briskets have wider and cleaner chest floors.

Thanks! I love Star's front end, she has such a nice roman nose too! :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Haha! Thanks for the info about the brisket. That really makes sense! I never thought that it was all that important. I just thought it looked a lot better if a goat had a good brisket. It also seems like goats with briskets have wider and cleaner chest floors.

Thanks! I love Star's front end, she has such a nice roman nose too! :)
It looks better AND is very important ;)

·
166 Posts
I always love meeting other Breeders from the Cali Area ( Go Clovis/ Sanger area) Lol anyway I love his Wide chest it is very boxy and we dont see that alot anymore but personally I love it ,Level topped and from the second picture it looks like he has strong back pasterns. Well overall I think he is a great find for craigslist. Good Luck on him I look forward to seeing what he throws:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts