Buckling and doeling accidental mating

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Sooooooooooooo - Yesterday morning when I turned the goats out I noticed that my 6 month old buckling was really interested in my 5 month old doeling, and she was actually standing for him... so I decided to go ahead and separate everyone and not rely on just the buck apron. The buckling and my wether went in their separate pen area ... until I came home at 430 pm and realized that the buckling was in the pasture with the does, and I caught him mid mount on my little girl! He managed to not only slip out of his buck apron, but also to jump a 5 foot fence to get at her.... and she was all about it, in full standing heat.

By the time I got out there it was pretty obvious the deed had been successfully done. I put the buckling back in his area and ran some electric wire to further fortify the fence and prevent it happening again.

Obviously... she is way too young. She's about 75 lbs and while extremely healthy and a stout little girl (nubian/lamancha cross), I'm feeling like my only option is to go the abortion route. Looking for any thoughts/opinions on this as a large part of me feels that since she was so ready and in heat, maybe she would tolerate the pregnancy decently... but the other part of me knows that lute is a pretty easy route and may be the overall better option.

In case this matters, she's about 50% of her mom's size give or take.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I’d lute her to avoid the risk. Just because they’re in heat and can get pregnant doesn’t mean they can handle it. She sounds too small and too young.

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I agree, thats what my gut says too.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    My guess is she'd tolerate the pregnancy just fine. I've bred a couple of mine at five months and didn't have a problem, although this is definitely the youngest I would ever breed. If you like the pairing then I think you could leave it be and look forward to kids next spring, but if you don't like this pairing or if it just plain makes you nervous to breed one this young, go ahead and Lute. Nothing wrong with either route in my opinion.

GoofyGoat, Kass and MadHouse like this.
  6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Lutalyse from your vet 14 days post breeding. Aghh - those bucks!

7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that! Do we always have to learn the hard way!? I mean buck apron AND fence and still?!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  8. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Tell me about it! There isn't much more I could have done aside from the electric ; And honestly, this is his first rut so I didn't think he'd be that ambitious. Now, I know! The good news is, he is MORE than willing to get the job done and maybe I'll be able to stud him out a time or two this Fall for his first season!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Just be careful handling the Lute. Wear rubber gloves and if you are pregnant or may become so, do not handle Lute. Have a male administer it. It is a very powerful drug that can and will cause a human to abort, painfully from what I was told.
    ( In 1987, I worked for a huge cow dairy in Mo. I had to Lute a heifer- got a good squirt on my hand. I have never had such horrible cramping in my life. It felt like labor- apparently I got some in a cut on my finger. I am super cautious if using Lute- even at my advanced age!)

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the great advice :)

12. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    And be careful studding him out - make sure they are clean - especially chlamydia.....

MadHouse likes this.
  13. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    He's clean across the board but thank you :great:

MadHouse likes this.
  14. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I think she meant the girls he would breed.

15. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    He's clean but make sure any does he breeds to are as well..... I personally never breed to other does because of chlamydia, CL, etc.... not worth the risk to me - but use your best judgement.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California