Buckling banded today - he didn't cry at all?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Polarhug, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    The dreaded De-doodling deed was done a few minutes ago. (my son calls them "doodles" lol) I was worried about how it would go. I didn't want to hear him scream for hours :(

Got him all lathered with betadine, then got the band on good - made sure both testes were in. Not a peep from him. It was almost like he was numb. Weird!

He didn't cry, fuss, roll around on the ground in agony... etc. I was expecting him to freak out honestly. He poked his nose down there and walked funny for about 3 steps and that was it.

I was worried I got the wrong size bands, but I double checked and they are for lambs and goats. They are the tiny green donut ones. So just check him every day to make sure its still on and working?

2. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    So glad to hear! This year I am going to try banding (I even bought it!) - I have been really worried about it but reading your post made me feel a lot better!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It all depends on the size jewels... the bigger they are... the more pain and pressure they feel...... if he swells he may get up and down .....but it sounds like it was easy on him....he's very lucky.... I get them doing the up and down thing....being very uncomfortable .....

Did he get his CD&T or a tetnus shot?....also ...we found if any of them seem kinda big and uncomfortable.... we give them some banamine... so they don't swell as bad and feel less pain.... other than that... it will take time and they will eventually drop off.... the green ones sound correct.... :thumb:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    all of mine acted fine with it too, except for one alpine kid ..he fussed for hours until i gave him an aspirin. :( poor baby!

5. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    The green ones are correct. I banded Goat Goat, he sat for a day sulking, but other than, that was fine, I think he knew he wasn't going to be a big boy no more :D

6. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Yep he had his CD/T shot already. His dude parts were pretty big already at 3 weeks old, or I would have let him go a bit longer. They are probably about the size of a golf ball (both together) so I figured I should just get him done. I didn't want to pinch more skin than I had to.

And on further inspection he had 3 teats in a row on one side and two on the other so... At least I wasn't second guessing the decision.

He is intended for meat anyway. Poor little guy is named Alton Brown ~ after the food show... :ROFL:

7. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Awwww. Poor little dude!

8. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    He's starting to mope a bit now. Sister can't figure out why he doesn't want to play. He's the one with the dark head.

Attached Files:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    those kids look great! :)

10. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Wow they are CUTE. Much more bulkier than mine :)

11. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

He looks really nice, I bet by either later today or tomorrow he is back to his normal self if he isnt already. Mine just acted different for a couple hours then were off playing after that. One boy it only took 6 weeks for his "doodles" to fall off the other was 8 weeks. Just keep an eye on them. They will swell then shrivle and stay on for what seems like forever.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Just keep and eye on him....he must of swelled up a bit and it is hurting...which is normal.....give him something for pain and swelling if you can..... :hug:

13. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    We banded two at the age of 7 weeks. One fussed and cried (I think mom calling to him had something to do with that). The other one, who was a bottle baby made no noise at all.

14. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    He's doing fine today - nibbling on mom's grain and walking around.

Thanks Lexi, those two were the beefier twins. My other set of twins are smaller and ALL legs so I hope they grow into them soon. They definately look more nubian than boer. Ballet dancer goats!

Attached Files:

15. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We did 5 and only two of them fussed... one has always been vocal and kind of whiney at times. The other three reacted the same way - walked a little bit odd - kept checking the area - and laid down gingerly. And two of those three were the largest when it came to the size of their man parts.

16. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    It is OOOKKKAAAYY...if he mopes it is okay, if he doesn't, even better. You never really can predict the banding reaction. My first two never flinched. The last two that we did moped for at least 24 hours. Acted like we had hurt them severely. I think it is how well they know you as to how they act. No worries!

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they are cuties..... :thumb: :greengrin: :love:

18. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Checked my little wether at weigh in yesterday and his doodles have fallen off and only a nice dry scab remains. Wow that was easy! Took about 5-6 weeks but no complications.

Also checked the doeling we are keeping and she is holding at 2 HUGE clean teats. She's half nubian and they really look dairy. (Mama has spur and fish teats) And she is the largest by weight and tallest girl as well. So happy! :cool:

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad to hear that his doodles came off without a hitch :wink:

Great that the doeling has the Dairy teats... I know with Boers that teats aren't as much involved due to being a meat breed but it still helps having clean teats when feeding kids.....just be aware that she can pass along her mama's odd teats to her own kids.