The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have some experience with banding our little boys, and with previous attempts all have gone great with no issues at time of banding or later. I recently picked up two young boys, probably around 10 weeks old. They were in rough shape when i got them, totally wild and scared, not handled at all, but after some worming and antibiotics they are ready for banding. One went great, as i expected. One, however, i am a bit concerned about. I banded 2 days ago, and at time of banding on the one in question seemed to have more tissue or 'plumbing' atop the testicles where the band should be placed, (more than his brother, or that i remember on any other bucking before). Both testes are under the band, but it looks like a bit of some tissue is above the band. He is acting fine, eating, drinking, eliminating, not looking in pain or discomfort, i can touch near and around with no jumping, so i dont think it hurts him.
The 'breeder' i got him from is just bad. Years ago i got a buck from her, he ended up dying from what i (and the vet) thought was a poisoning, but vet said rare chance he had a genetic defect. At the time, i thought it would be poisoning, we had a bad neighbor that was tormenting us. However, after getting these two, i'm starting to think its bad genetics and breeding the whole time. Both these boys were heavily infested with worms, external parasites, had cocci bad, and pneumonia.
My question now is, perhaps this bucking, with the breeders bad history, maybe abnormal genitals? Maybe a defect or excess tubes/plumbing for the testicles? I'm keeping close watch and have his normal brother for instant comparison, but what other things should i watch for, or have on hand in case of me needing to intervene? I'm sure both testicles are under the band. I can take some photos and show in a day or two.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
From your description, it doesn't sound like there's a problem with the testicles. I notice that my Nubian goats have more pendulous testicles with a narrower neck at the top than the Alpines. My Alpine boys' attachments are almost as wide and thick as the rest of the package, and the testicles are up closer to the body.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would just keep an eye on it. As long as both testes are in the band and you didn't get a teat I'm sure it's fine. Just watch for swelling, etc. I have had a few that had more "junk" above the band and they end up with a little pooch in that area more so than the others but other than that no difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts