The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 mo. old buckling broke his front leg between the knee and ankle, and of course its on the weekend and my vet is going to put a cast on with general anesthesia. Have you ever had this happen with a kid? Will he recover fully to be a breeding buck? This is going to be an expensive repair. Poor little guy... (photo is from last week)
Attivo 20200320_124459.jpg

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Front leg is not as much an issue as the back leg which is needed to support a mounting.

Make sure to cast the leg in a comfortable position from above the knee and below the "ankle" .

Give a tetanus antitoxin shot and banamine.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh thanks! You're right, the back leg would be more an issue! I'm not thinking... The vet is going to cast it. I'll keep an eye out and ensure the tetanus is given, I already gave him banamine.
The vet said since he's so young, in a few weeks we will have to do anesthesia again and cut off the cast and recast it due to growth. But he thinks it will mend well, may not look just like the other leg.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had a 12 week nigerian break a front leg several years ago. She was in a cast for 6 weeks, total. It was changed every 2 weeks and went from elbow to toes. I kept her in a large cage on the front porch. A couple of times a day (dry days), one of us would carry her out to the yard (leashed) and let her walk around a bit, pick at green things. We worked really hard at keeping her and her cast clean and dry. old socks over the vet wrap that was over the cast helped. She healed really well. This was 2017 and the total bills were around $450. It was a clean, uncomplicated break and that helped.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
It may hurt him by putting it on.
Because you have to lift his leg up.
So I really recommend not doing so.

Lightly wrapping it with vet wrap may help keep it clean.
But if he fights you, stop and don't do it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My vet wrapped Grace's cast with vetwrap after each cast application to help it stay clean and dry. We used old tube socks on top when she got to the point where we were taking her out in the yard. This was after her 2nd week cast change when she was feeling better and getting restless. The sock came off after the walk.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you alwaystj9. Since my buckling is in different circumstances, as he will be in a 10x30 pen getting around after a couple of days, and he is with his mama, I don't think I'm going to try to keep it clean like that. Maybe I'm in error here? But the vet didn't say anything about that.

·
8,197 Posts
As long as the pen is dry (not muddy) and the cast stays dry, he should be fine. Watch for swelling the first few days. After a few days, he will get around pretty well.

After the cast comes off, you should do a lot of physical therapy, get that muscle back and full range of motion. He will probably be fine and with the muscle back, you may not ever notice anything. Kids are pretty resilient.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Check above and below the cast, are the hooves casted too?
The cast goes from above his knee to the base of his hoof. The break is in the middle of the bones between knee and pastern and that is where the swelling was before casting, so I won't see swelling unless it is above the knee. :(

Attachments

·
8,197 Posts
He looks alert and his eyes are bright. He will do just fine! He is a nice looking boy!

If, for some weird reason he did swell, it would puff out above the cast. You would see it, as the fluid would push up. But, your vet would have taken swelling in consideration and would have wrapped the leg in such a way that the cast would not be too tight. Your goat would act uncomfortable and sad. I don't believe you have anything to worry about in that area! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts