Buckling Doesn't know how to suckle

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by bbredmom, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    So I got these three rescue babies from a worthless goat hoarder who paid all the attention to the first two babies of 6 born, and pretty much ignored the rest. These babies are all 3 weeks at this point (Jan 2,4,and 5), and the girls at least are eating grain, hay and drinking water. No scours at all, and we've seen all of them pee at least.

The Eldest Doeling, Firefly, has gotten the hang of bottle feeding. She is sucking an 8 oz bottle dry each feeding. No problem with her.

The Youngest Doeling, Glory, is still fighting us on bottlefeeding, but we can at least get 2-3 oz down her. We are going to try pan feeding tonite with her. Part of it is she is just scared of humans because, again, no real contact with them and her momma was wilder than a march hare.

Little Boy, Chief, is our biggest concern. He has contracted tendons that the woman asked me about when he was born but never did anything with (even though she told me she did). We've splinted them with popscicle sticks, guaze, and tape, and are also doing PT by streching them out during the day. He's also terribly undersized compared to Glory, his sister/aunt. We finally had to bring him inside (which I know isn't great) because he was spending all his energy shivering and trying to stay warm, and the other babies were starting to reject him.

What was maybe initially thought to be soremouth is on closer inspection is two burns on his upper lip. I remember the woman saying because the mom wouldn't feed him much, she tried to bottle feed him, but he didn't like the formula when she warmed it up, so she put him back outside. What I'm thinking is she got it too hot, and it burned him. Since she did this on his second day, he learned to nurse ineffectually out the side of his mouth.

Now that he is in the house, he is much livelier, and is peeing and pooping. But feeding him is soo stressful for everyone, Chief included.

What can I do to entice Chief and Glory to take the bottle more? Softer nipples? Dip the nipples in molasses?

I just want to throttle the woman and take all her goats away.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well Kate sounds like a pickle you are in :hug: :hug:

Sometimes a little shot of BoSe can help with contracted tendons.

what nipples are you using right now? I like the pritchard nipples. A friend has had good results with pan feeding so thats an option too.

3. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I'm always in a pickle, because as my husband says, we have "sucker" in multiple languages written on our forehead...

His tendons are already doing better-we also rubbed them down with some icy hot to loosen them up before we splinted them. He was jumping around on his tiptoes within an hour!

Honestly, we are using the baby bottle nipples we used with our girls last year we took at 3 weeks from their mommas, we didn't think it would be a problem. But those girls loved people as much as they loved goats!

Can I get Pritchard at TSC? Are they meant for animals or people?

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Hi, Kate.

Glad to hear he is now able to jump and "be" a little goat!

Yes, I agree with Stacy that the Pritchard nipple will help him a lot. We had a little doeling born last year with some kind of (if she was human we would call it cerebral palsy) problem and she could barely suck, but she was able to take enough nourishment with the Pritchard.

Yes, you can buy the Pritchard at TSC. It just screws on a Pepsi 20oz or Diet DP 20-24oz bottle. Since the pop bottles are so light, you can also squeeze the sides a little bit to help him get the idea - just don't squeeze so hard you choke him.

If his lip blisters are oozing, a little Milk of Mag will help dry them up.

I'm so glad to know that you have these poor babies now. Best wishes with them!

5. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Great, thank you! I will pick some up at lunch and make my husband drink a MT. Dew or something (I swore off HFCS months ago). Did your little doeling make it ok?

I have been putting medicated chapstick on his lips, and they are healing right up, no oozing anymore. We've alos been having to slean all their noses of kid boogers. blech.

How od I always get myself into these messes? Oh thats right, bleeding heart.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont drink soda but I gather the pepsi brand bottles from others who do - I think I have like 3 right now just sitting in waiting for when I need them again.

7. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    I too am a sucker...though I think I am getting better :wink:
    I brought home a wild kid once as well. I finally had to teach him to pan feed.
    I would hold his head down to the pan of warm milk and get his little muzzle pretty wet until her figured out it was milk and it was tastey. He eventually ate it after I would leave and soon would stand by the pan as I poured.
    I have heard of milk pellets being used too but have no experience with this???
    Good Luck Dear...you have some lucky little goaties eventually they will realize it! :)

8. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    @Kate: "Bleeding Heart" sounds so much better than "Sucker", doesn't it? LOL

Yes, my little doeling has made it. It was pretty tough going through the hot summer months. I still can't put her with the others her age as they will beat her up. But that's ok cuz she thinks she's a little human anyway! LOL

I'm not sure the MtD bottles will work because of the way the threading is for the cap. I know coke bottles won't work.

Good luck with your new little babies!

9. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    :) Mt. Dew bottles work perfect for the Pritchard Nipples, we don't drink any other soda here! so I just gather them up and stash them til I need 'em. Don't feel bad about having a bleeding heart, I know after spending $2700 on herd of 30+ goats, loosing all but one of 4 kids that came with them and selling 7 of adults and having 2 adults die, plus loosing all except 3 of my original herd, I am a sucker and it must be in Capital Letters on my forehead.

10. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    OMG, those nipples are AWESOME! Both babies sucked down 4-6 ounces in under 5 minutes. The most we've been able to get down them was 2.5 in ten minutes. Thank y'all so much, you are lifesavers!

11. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    A few weeks of bottle feeding and she'll be running up to you at feeding time like Laura Engles on Little House on the Prairie! :p

This is very interesting. I had no idea this would help with mouth blisters. Thanks Erin!

Holy cow Bobbi Jo! I had no idea that happened to you! Holy cow!!!!!! I'm not going to lie...not really saying Holy Cow :( (much worse than that.) I'm so sorry you had to go through that. And, I’m so happy that your still enjoying your goats. That’s enough to make a person want to run but you held strong. You just might be my next hero! :thumb:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I 'm so glad the babies have full bellies now!! :clap: Pritchards are THE BEST IMO...Even the smallest kid can suckle from them, they're cheap too, cost the same as the soda in those bottles they are used on. I also bottle raised orphaned piglets on Pritchards.... awesome product.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    That's great to hear! Hope they keep it up now :)

14. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Sounds like you all are getting the hang of things. but... I WANT PICS ;) I am a sucker for baby goats too. Hubby said I'm not allowed to bring any more goats home as the goats we have coming from our does this year will probably max us out space wise.... lol

15. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    lol I will post pics as soon as I get home. Work blocks the photo sites. grrrrrr.

I think we could comfortably handle a max of 20 goats. If they weren't Boer or Nubian sized. 10-15 would be more comfortable. Once we get more land fenced in we can have more. But that's project #456 on the refrigerator list.

16. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I hear you on the refrigerator list. We only have about an acre fenced in for our girls right now with 7 acres adjoining it that we need to get fenced in. But first we have to get someone out here to clear a fence line since you can't walk more than a foot or two into it before you get tangled in so many briers and trees and its impossible to see! Clearing and fencing is currently #3 & 4 on our refrigerator list of things to do with our tax refund this year, hopefully it all works out! Our hope is that the goats will do most of the clearing for us and we have an LGD that thinks she is a goat that will be out there with them so I hope they will be ok...

17. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    if these three end up like Zeus, they will follow us like pups, so we could take them in the wood with us while we cut trees and they would clear without wandering off.

We have 8 acres, and about 2 fenced in. But our property is a long trapezoid, very weird shape.

18. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    small world, ours is a 10 acre lot that looks a bit like a mirror image of the state of NC. A wide upside-down triangle but not quite...lol. We have 3 acres fenced in but 1/2 acre of that is an orchard which is a strict no-go zone for the goats but the chickens and ducks get free run. Another acre and a half has the house and front lawn complete with dogs that think goats are interactive chew toys just for them ::sigh:: then the other acre has our goaties on it divided between our buckpen and our doe/milking area. right now we only have 6 goats but 3 are females hopefully will have kids this spring. And believe it or not, I am hoping for all bucks from my girls this year. Will make keeping them separated from their mamas after weaning time soooo much easier as I can just put them in with the buck and whethers. I don't need preggo babies and I don't like having to use teat tape every day to keep the little ones from suckling since their mamas are determined to let them nurse!

19. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    So the babies are eating well, full little round bellies, but I still have two concerns

1. They are way behind what they should be eating at this point. They should be getting (according to all my reading) about 2 quarts of milk day, or 4 cups/32 oz a feeding. I can barely get them to take 1.5-2 cups. What can I do to get them to drink more? We tried feeding them three times a day, but then they just take less at night, and its still not enough over all.

2. Little Chief just isn't growing. He's happy and healthy and jumping around, but its obvious how much smaller he is to his sister. Is there a supplement I can give him?

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I never feed 32oz a feeding! wow thats way to much.

The max I feed is 12 oz a feeding. So they seem on target for my feeding schedule at 12-16 ounces.

As to not growing try giving some nutri drench.

What are you feeding are you giving replacer or goats milk or cows milk?

How old are they now?