buckling going downhill!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by moonspinner, Oct 20, 2007.

1. moonspinner

moonspinner Member

Oct 5, 2007
    western NY
    Posting for a friend. We picked up goats from the same farm, one with top flight animals and supposedly good reputation. My friend's is a 7 month ND buckling. She met the breeder part way and when she got the buck out of the crate she noticed urine all over his belly. The breeder brushed it off saying he had probably just lain in his urine. Then when my friend got the buckling home she noticed he was straining to urinate and then saw pale gums. Rushed him to the vet where he had a motherlode infestation of lice which led to anemia so severe his blood was like water and on top of that a kidney infection. He's on anitbiotics and B complex. I suggested Red Cell too but she can't get it anywhere locally. I had heard someone used Geritol as a substitute. Would this be okay?
    He's also not eating and seems to be going downhill. She would appreciate any suggestions. The breeder claims to have never noticed lice and said he got a wormer that covers external parasites.
    Thanks for any help, though it doesn't look good. Fortunately the buck I got seems to be okay.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    This is not something I recomend for all cases of pale gums but in this situation this goat needs iron ASAP.

Get iron injectable and give him at least 1/2cc for 7 days.

When I delt with a servier case of anemia getachagoat (julie) was very helpful to me and recomended the iron injectable which saved my goats life and her unborn kid.

You can get iron injectable labled for pigs at TSC. If not rush order it from jeffers, it is not expensive.

Keep up the B complex and get electrolytes into him as well. YOu need to work on building up his immune system as well.

what did the vet proscribe as an antibiotic for the infection?

3. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Are they sure it a kidney infection and not UC? I think I would drenching with vinegar or ammonium chloride to be on the save side. Is this a vet that knows goat? Not trying to be mean just some vet know/care more about goats or sheep then other. Some vets think of goats or sheep is throw away livestock. :( Shelly

4. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    responsibility of the seller.

I think that any reputable breeder would ask for the kid back and cover any expenses. Then let you select a different kid or give your money back. It is hard if you are already attached, but maybe she should take him back until she gets him healthy. If the seller is not asking to do this, they are definetly not reputable breeders! Of course is they sold as is and did not claim healthy goats, that's how we all learn.
    Sorry, I cannot offer suggestions to help his care, I just wanted to express my frustration with your "breeder." That is not a good way of doing business. Best wishes for the poor little guy.

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    My immediatly thought was UC.
    I was lucky in treating a buck much like you are describing and he fully recovered. His gums were WHITE, and he coudld'nt pee, I never took him to the vet, I gave my herbal wormer ( he was loaded with worms from the time we had bought him) and my mom treated him. In a day or two he was bouncing around, and felt MUCH better. I don't know if these two had the same thing or not. Good luck!

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am pretty sure I know which breeder you are talking about. The experience I have had with him he had been very helpful, but I didn't buy anything from him sooo...........

7. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Make sure you use something topically to kill the lice. Did the vet do a fecal? He may also have internal worms from the stress and probably needs to be wormed.

We use Durasect on lice. You can sponge it all over in this case and then put a line down the back. 3/4cc on an ND most likely. You can also use seven dust (sp?). Put molasses in his water. If you aren't comfortable with giving an injection IM of the iron, give it orally - 2cc. It doesn't go into the blood stream as fast that way and less chance of overdose. When a goat is that anemic, not much of a chance at overdosing anyway. Be sure to keep them up and walking to prevent pneumonia. Depending on the antibiotic, it may take care of that. Give some probios or yogurt with live bacteria so the rumen doesn't shut down.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    along with the description that his belly was wet with pee I considered the "straining to pee" more on the lines of it hurt to do so - not that he couldn't

Now if I am wrong on my assumption then correct me, it just fit with the vets diagonosis of an infection. If it isn't a kidney infection it might be a urninary infection (but either way the antibiotics will help)

9. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    that was my thought, as well. if you have ever had a UTI you know how awful that urge to go is even when you really have no urine to expel. the fact that he was 'wet with urine' wouldn't go with UC, as far as i know.
    good luck to them.
    and YES, a REPUTABLE breeder would not sell a buck in this condition and would want him back. she/he might not have known at the time of pick up that he was sick (a traveling goat could get wet from urinating in crate), but now that he is, they should be involved. this was too soon an occurrance to say it was the new owner's neglgence, in my humble opinion.

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Member

Oct 5, 2007
    western NY
    good news

Stacy, like you I too thought the symptoms weren't indicative of UC. I told my friend it seemed like kidney infection and that was the diagnosis. Although kidney inflammation "can" indicate UC too as the urine backs up into the kidney.
    Anyway, happy to report the little guy is improving. He is now up and around and eating hay, looking a bit better each day. The owner has a long way to get him completely well, but she seems to have a magic touch in treating sick goats.
    The breeder did want to take him back and refund her vet bill, but the new owner really likes him - and his outstanding bloodlines - and if he continues to recover I believe she will keep him.
    Thanks for all the insights. I love hearing everyone's input and she is appreciative.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh that is just wonderful news to hear!

The breeder did the right thing and I commend the person for it.

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This sounds so good- I hope the little guy keeps on recovering just fne.

13. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Great! Glad to hear he is improving!

14. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    Glad to hear the improvement and that the breeder did right. :)