Buckling has arrived

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by enjoytheride, Sep 6, 2008.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Last year I sold a saddle to a friend and took a future buckling in place of a part the cost of it. He came today.
    Now I have never had a buck so this is an experiment. I have always taken my two girls to visit bucks for breeding but I would rather keep them home and this buckling comes from a very reliable person. I figure that I will even let him have at the 6 mos old when she's a couple of months older. She's really a good size right now but still a baby after all.
    I have him in a small pen next to the girls- I thought it would be good to wait til one of them comes into heat to minimize the fighting. Worked for awhile then I saw the buckling, who had been screaming non-stop whenever the girls left his line of sight, come ambling through the field looking for the others. Much head butting occured so I took them back into their respective pens and clipped the latch on the buckling's pen closed. The girls had never opened it but he figured it out in a few hours.
    He seems a sweet fellow- a little over 6 months old. Definitely interested in the girls. Not aggressive at all. So I hope this works. :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he should settle in soon.

Congrats on the new fellow

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    They are going to do the headbutt thing and he's going to be the lowest on the totem pole for right now. They will get along eventally and get attached to each other. Do you have a doe or something that you could put with him for companionship? good luck with him!!

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We have a little buckling right now that is impossible to contain!! I have literally tried everything! None of our other goats have ever escaped, except babies. Hopefully this fellow works out for you. :) Do u have any pictures? ;)

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congrats on your new addition....I've not had a problem with escaping goats after I got better fencing but my 6 /2 month old buckling has been doing his darndest to jump and clear it...he falls back down and starts bawling, even though he hasd 2 other bucks for company, can't wait to see your boy, you are definately in for an experience, especially if you've never had a buck before...ornery, stinky critters that are as seet as the girls...just nasty perfume to them! :greengrin:

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Well- I guess it's time to confess. He's not a very good specimen of Boer goatieness. Frankly I got him because he has a "few" problems that would make him not good even as a market wether.
    He has a defect in his lip (not a cleft palate but only on the lip) and a split scrotum and an ear that has a twist in the middle. But as he will only be producing meat goats for me, I didn't think any of that would be a problem. I'll take a picture of him but you all have to promise not to laugh. Promise?

[​IMG]

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awww...he's cute..even with those minor imperfections! :wink: And as long as he's putting food on your table, why not use him? :greengrin:

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Yeah I think he's cute too. Sort of sad eyes. But he is very sweet and patient too. Lucky for me he is already smelly enough to make my eyes water. Otherwise I know I would be stuck with another pet.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Other then the "minor inperfections" is he a good specimen of "meatiness"? Is he growing well and decent size for his age?

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I think he is cute!! He has his own uniqueness and personality. If he is used for meat breeding - go for it. I bet he is just the sweetest boy!

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Di- I can't say he's anything special in any other way but personalilty. For which I'm grateful- I have no real buck experience so need a mellow fellow to start. His parents are exceptionallly large and my girls are even bigger. So I think he will do- none of his offspring will be sold or given away- just for my own meat for next year.
    Thank you all for saying he's cute- I think so too.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW how could you NOT just love that face. He is a doll. Congratulations.

13. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Oh, he is way up there on the cuteness scale! Face and expression all sweetness. Gosh, even looks like he might apologize for being stinky. :wink: Good that he is gentle; congrats.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    enjoytheride ,,he is cute ..................Just think........ you saved his life....... :) .......It looks like he appreciates that in his sweet and caring eyes............ :shades:

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    He is a sweet boy- thank goodness because I have had to shove his head back through some small openings- I'm not set up for a horned goat-lol He mostly seems to work his way out of things but twice got really stuck- although I don't think he's dumb- he only does each place one time. lol

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh he's a cutie!!! :love: