The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lil buck a month old and 18.5 lbs.
He sounds hoarse and raspy breathing. When I came home today he was outside of the pen. For how long I don’t know (could have been 6 hrs), he was in when I left. He was laying in mud with his head inside a cinder block shivering.
I immediately scooped him up and got him back in with momma. She had triplets and she’s pretty intense about when they can nurse. So she wasn’t wanting him to nurse and I wanted to get nourishment in him ASAP. Just happened to half a gallon of goats milk so I warmed up 16 ounces. Gave him a ML of Vit B and .5 cc of BoSe.
He’s nibbled on alfalfa and engulfed the 16 ounce bottle. I made another 8 ounce bottle and he drank about 2.5 ounces.
He quit shivering. He is walking around. 103.2 temp.
I plugged in the heat lamp in their house so if he chills there is somewhere warm to go.
How often can I give the vit B? And was .5 cc enough of the BoSe? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
19FD0385-371A-4B28-AE1E-EA21DA5D2522.jpeg

I went out to check on him and he was in their house with his brother and sister, but shivering. We had warm weather and then it was almost freezing last night and looks like it will be there again this morning. He's inside now and been smothered in dog and puppy kisses and wrapped up in a blanket until his shivers stopped. I gave him another bottle and I crushed up half an amoxicillin (that's all I have tonight) and mixed it with a tablespoon of plain yogurt and tossed it in his bottle. I've fed him 24 ounces of goats milk since 6pm. Tried another bottle but he wouldn't take it.
My husband thinks he may be in shock??? I got him to lay down and he's sleeping now so I'm going to rest while I can.
Praying he makes it!!!!

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I agree..thats too much milk at once. Keep him with mom and if he needs hydration give quality electrolytes.
How's his pooping and peeing? Was it hot when he was out? Maybe heat stress.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn’t give him 24 ounces all at once. We have removed him from mom. It was near freezing last night here. He had a 16 ounce bottle with a pinch of baking soda this morning. Tried putting him with his mom and brother and sister. His mom stomps her foot and will not let him nurse, she walks away when he tries to nurse, so I guess I have a bottle baby. He has peed a ton. Haven’t seen poop yet, but he could have been deprived of food yesterday for nearly 7 hours. He’s getting up and walking. I think he’s got something respitory going on with his raspy breathing. When he tries to baa, it’s like he’s lost his voice, maybe from crying yesterday when he was out of the pen?
It was in the low 60’s yesterday, but he was laying in cold, wet mud and had his head laying inside of a cinder block, so I don’t think it’s heat stress. I was thinking pneumonia if anything.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
If the nipple has too big of a hole, he may be ingesting some, which is bad.

As others said, do not over feed him, that will make him sick and he can die from it.

Yes, it sounds like you have a bottle baby now. Sorry mama is such a pill.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
8,157 Posts
When he is eating, feel his stomach. You want it not hard but not all squishy and empty feeling. He might have to stop eating and pee, then eat a little more. You know how he looks all sunk in right before you feed him in the morning? He should fill that sunken in area out, when he eats, just not out so far it looks like a ball. (Does this make sense?)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I know all of that about feeding. I wasn’t really looking for feeding suggestions. Everyone seems overly concerned that I offered him 16 ounces and then the post I was directed to said to offer 20 ounces. I was looking for suggestions as far as respiratory treatment. He was raspy breathing when I got home yesterday before I ever fed him a bottle. I’m assuming from laying in cold, wet mud for up to 7 hours. The night before this our temps were nearly freezing as well as last night so we kept him inside last night. Fed him a bottle this morning, strong appetite. He’s outside with his siblings and his mom. Looks like he’s sleeping.
Will post an update tonight

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
For my littke ones..with raspy voice, runny nose, and no temp. I use Chidrens Robitussim ..i give 2 cc per 10 lbs. With that I also give 1cc red cell. ( vit.s & Iron.) I also make sure they stay warm., to prevent pnuemonuia. If the sinuses start running, I use a baby ball suringe, suck out the nose.. Then apply VetRx to each nostril. Usually after 2 days with meds given 2 xs dailey. I usually have a well.baby. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Put your head against his side and listen to his breathing, is it just raspy or is there a gurgle in there? If it kinda gurgly and sounds like hes got mucus he might have inhaled some liquids. If its just raspy it could just be he was crying too much, or he could have pneumonia in which case I dont really know what to do :<

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Yes, I know all of that about feeding. I wasn't really looking for feeding suggestions. Everyone seems overly concerned that I offered him 16 ounces and then the post I was directed to said to offer 20 ounces. I was looking for suggestions as far as respiratory treatment. He was raspy breathing when I got home yesterday before I ever fed him a bottle. I'm assuming from laying in cold, wet mud for up to 7 hours. The night before this our temps were nearly freezing as well as last night so we kept him inside last night. Fed him a bottle this morning, strong appetite. He's outside with his siblings and his mom. Looks like he's sleeping.
Will post an update tonight
Have you taken his temp.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, he's hanging in there with me. He's been in with his mom and siblings since I got rid of his shivers. His mom has triplets and they have made sore sores on her nipples. Massaged them with coconut oil yesterday and hubby is bringing home some bag balm. I don't think she's letting the lil guy nurse much, so I'm doing 3 x a day 11 ounces. Hoping as we heal up get nips she will let him nurse more. Poor mama and poor baby!
0190E964-4134-400D-B571-8DA570C66DE9.jpeg
My husband delivered a breech calf last night just before 11pm. Gotta love YouTube! He had never done it before. Momma and baby girl look good and seem ok.
B238B6C6-7447-4533-83E1-65713897F730.jpeg

So my apologies if I have been grouchy, sleep deprivation has been our way of life the past few weeks. We have 5 beautiful calves though and one more to go.
We only have 2 kids left to sell from the season and I'm very thankful, grateful & so blessed!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, he's hanging in there with me. He's been in with his mom and siblings since I got rid of his shivers. His mom has triplets and they have made sore sores on her nipples. Massaged them with coconut oil yesterday and hubby is bringing home some bag balm. I don't think she's letting the lil guy nurse much, so I'm doing 3 x a day 11 ounces. Hoping as we heal up get nips she will let him nurse more. Poor mama and poor baby!

My husband delivered a breech calf last night just before 11pm. Gotta love YouTube! He had never done it before. Momma and baby girl look good and seem ok.
Have you taken his temp.....
No temp.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts