The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Rich says I just worry too much. But I really think something is not right with this little guy. I had posted on here a wk ago when he was disbudded. It took a very long time for him to come out of the anesthesia. He just doesn't seem interested in eating. He also still has loose stools (for about a wk now). They aren't watery anymore, just kind of a thick paste. But he isn't putting on any weight. He also sleeps alot. He is now almost 4 wks old. He will have like a 5 min. burst of energy then sleep for 2 or 3 hrs. And he is very needy of motherly attention. He wants held and rubbed. He isn't at all interested in playing. To me he just doesn't act right. He often has this look in his eyes like nobody's there. And he still seems real unsteady on his feet. I guess the thing that bothers me most is that he is not interested in eating. Every day he has taken less. And now this morning it was all I could do to get 5 oz. into him. The vet said he just went thru too much in a short period of time. He had been dam raised untill we got him and then a wk later we had him disbudded. Is he failing to thrive? Or is Rich right?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
No I believe you. I am no one that disbudds so I can not tell you anything about that. I am so sorry but I think if you do not get food in him right away you will lose him. If that was mine I would be tubing that little one. Maybe a B shot to stimulate his appetite. Have you tried putting some yogurt in his bottle to get that good bacteria back in his tummy?
I am sure others that do disbud will be able to chime in and help you, but I do think that if something is not done you might lose him. It sounds like he does not have a will to keep going. :pray: :pray:

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Have you taken his temp? I agree by now he should be up and about. We had the vet castrate 4 bucklings, they were totally out (anesthetised), but within an hour they were awake and eating. Had a doeling tear her horn off, she was also anesthtised and had it cut off and burned. She was also up and playing within a short period of time. :hug:

Hope he recovers ok, I'll say a :pray: for your little one.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I don't have cause to disbud much but none have been bothered for long. I think temp takiing is good. If he has a fever he might need antibiotics. Also did the vet give him tetanus anti-toxin?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is up to date on shots. Vet took his temp yesterday and said it was fine. I think I inadvertantly caused this. I was keeping him in the house because I was worried about the flys. Well I took him outside after posting and put him back with Prince. (thinking maybe he would at least follow by example and nibble something) The first thing he did was jump on Prince then he went to the hay feeder and chowed down. So I fixed a bottle and he drank it right down. He is now running around and following Prince everywhere. Do you think he may have been depressed? :hair: The people we got him from kept him with the herd so he was never away from other goats. My BAD!!! So I guess I will just keep him sprayed down real good with Bronce to try to keep the flys away. Maybe I should just bring him in for a few hrs during the hottest time of the day. :shrug: Or should I just let nature take it course?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I think I would leave him outside as long as he can get to some shade. It sounds like that is where he wants to be. Glad to hear he is doing better. Sometimes we try to protect them but that is not what they want. O am just glad he is better.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They do have shade and even have their own little barn to get in out of the weather. I can't believe I overlooked something so simple. He has already sucked down another bottle and is busy playing on the big log out there. Thanks for all the help and support everyone!!!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
wow sure was a nice quick turn around :dance:

Yes goats can get depressed.

I wouldn't worry to much about bringing him inside. Just let him enjoy being out there and he will be fine. Now if you notice the scouring again I would run a fecal on him to rule out coccidia

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am really surprized by the turn around. He is already back to taking his bottles like a little piggy. And he's eating his hay and even nibbling some grain. He really likes playing with Prince. And it was obvious that Prince missed him too. His poops are not complete berries yet but much better than what they were. It's funny because those two seem to poop in the same places all the time. The girls just go everywhere.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
yea he was definetly depressed. i just dehorned a doe kid i got a week or so ago on monday, she was really lethargic and depressed in the house and i couldn't take her to the rest of the herd for a few days ( the rest of the herd lives at a friends place). she didn't eat ANYTHING for a whole day. i couldn't figure it out. then i let her run with the kitten we have for a day, she ate and drank and played. they get really depressed since they are herd animals. but it can get scary. glad he got better fast

1 - 11 of 11 Posts