The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend we lost a 8 month old registered Nubian buckling. He broke his neck while playing with another buckling. Has anybody ever had/heard of this happening? Goats are made to spar! And I know a lot of other meat producers that house horned bucks together.

Unfortunately he was a sweet buck and my husband's special pick this spring and is was quite a traumatic event. Also really threw of our breeding and winter housing plans since his pal cannot live alone.

Attachments

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
There was a breeder in our area whose doe was rammed hard and her neck was severely crooked. All of her goats were disbudded. I don't think it's very common ... my boys rough-house all the time, but love each other and no one is worse for wear.

I'm SO sorry I forgot to add how sorry I am over your lost. I lost a bottle baby early this year, he was precious to me, and I still grieve him, and cry when I see pictures. It hurts horribly.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
So sorry :( :hug:

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Oh no, how awful! :( I am so sorry. That is the one thing I don't like about goats - sometimes they get way too rough.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
im so sorry.

·
Registered
275 Posts
At least his death wasn't your fault. This year the car was backed over my newborn buckling. Though, it only ran over his legs. He could move them, but couldnt put weight on them. I thought that he just sprained them and he'll be fine in a week or two.
Though, he was bleating and moaning a lot. I wanted to comfort him by bottlefeeding him. I think the milk went down the wrong tube, because then he couldnt breath.
I tried doing the swing to get the fluids out. It didnt work. His body slowly went limp as I tried to get him to breath in vain. but then his body was still. it twiched a bit and he was gone...
I couldnt believe it. I was so angry at myself for bottlefeeding him. I was really upset.
at least yours wasn't your fault and he died a quick death.
Its too bad though.
your buck is so handsome.:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts