The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 week old buckling that I’ve had for about 2 weeks is peeing blood . Not much , but it seems after he pees a few drops of blood fall. I search the forums but my keywords didn’t bring anything up . He’s otherwise healthy ( seemingly ) . Happy , playful, too small ( 22lbs ) but gaining weight since I got him . He eats grass hay , alfalfa , and minerals . Drinks water as normal . His appetite as normal . Not sure what this could be ( my only suspicion is Urinary Calculi ) . The passed few days they’ve been getting a bit of ACV aim their water - that is the only change I’ve made since I’ve had them . Today is the first day I noticed any blood . It’s not much at all , but still worrisome . Also he’s very timid and I haven’t got to actually grab him and inspect things . But it’s definitely coming from him .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also ... I just remembered , he was wormed yesterday with ivermectin injectable ( given orally ) .

Please help . All I’m seeing in google is that he may need to be euthanized . But he’s acting fine so I refuse to do that , obviously .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m going to check for injury . I’m hoping that’s it . It looked like he was kind of squatting at one point this morning in a weird way . But his pee isn’t red , it’s after he pees drops of bright red blood fall . Hoping it’s just an injury and nothing serious .

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
Hmm squatting doesn't sound good. Is he straining to pee? Standing in pee position a lot?

I have seen my wethers squat and it's not a problem (just an odd behavior when they get "excited") but if it has never happened before I would suspect stones.

May want to start him on ammonium chloride drench to be safe.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t see any cuts or injury’s .
He’s not in pain.
I don’t feed him grain .
He seems to have drank a lot of water - I read to add salt to the water on google , so I’ll try that .
I haven’t found anymore blood drops in his pen , but I’m sure I’m missing them .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm squatting doesn't sound good. Is he straining to pee? Standing in pee position a lot?

I have seen my wethers squat and it's not a problem (just an odd behavior when they get "excited") but if it has never happened before I would suspect stones.

May want to start him on ammonium chloride drench to be safe.
Does tractor supply have this?
I could go back for the 4th time this week , I suppose . Lol.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I wouldn't put salt in the water. You will stop him from drinking. Ammonium chloride is the way to go if you suspect urinary calculi. The ACV in the water is good because it makes the water taste better, inticing them to drink more.
Have you tried keeping his diet balanced for calcium and phosphorous?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I wouldn't put salt in the water. You will stop him from drinking. Ammonium chloride is the way to go if you suspect urinary calculi. The ACV in the water is good because it makes the water taste better, inticing them to drink more.
Have you tried keeping his diet balanced for calcium and phosphorous?
He's my dads buck that I'm currently caring for & my dad was insisting I give him more alfalfa to get his weight up bc he was thin and had worms when we got him . He has put on weight , but imo he's been getting too much alfalfa .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Normal stream?
Haven't watched him in a Few hours other than a quick check in so haven't seen him pee in a bit but I when he did pee earlier he was standing normal , and normal stream .
I finally found some threads on here about the topic ( but they won't pop up if u search the forums - u have to search google which ends up taking u to TGS ) and it seems a few people have dealt with this and the answers all range from serious problems to the goat being fine . If I see any behavioral changes I will act accordingly but as of now I'm just going to continue monitoring him and not giving him much alfalfa .

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Need to watch and make sure he is peeing a strong steady stream..no dribbles.
you said he's drinking a lot of water? from a bucket?
Do you know how his previous owner fed him since you only had him a few weeks?
The hunching to pee could be him being bucky but you want to be sure its not something more serious like pushing stones.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts