The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been waiting this out because everything else seems normal. However our little buckling Yoda (born 03/29/2013) has had some runny poop and soft poop (almost just like a pile of dog poop).

We picked him up 05/16/2013 and he had the following on 05/15/2013:
1. CD&T
2. Eprinex external parasite control
3. hooves trimmed
4. mineral injection
5. finished a course of cocci prevention

He has been on fresh grass pasture and Nutrena goat feed.

Temp normal, eating & drinking fine no other visible symptoms. What should be my next course of action if any? Was thinking about a dose of Pepto....

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
What color? Is it light brown, or greenish? I have found like brown or greenish to usually be dietary. I would have a fecal run, if it is coccidia that can be pretty nasty fast. Last time I had coccidia, the runs were dark brown with spots of blood, set on fast. I used Sulmet to fix 'em up. I'd give him probios to start.

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
could be from the graze...fed hay 30-40 minutes before headingout to graze..allows rumen a kick start and the sun to dry the dew from the grass. Worm eggs travel up the grasson dew drops..goat eats grass and egg..worm cycle stars over again..plus wet grass can cause bloat and soft stool

I agree with threehaven..a fecal will help see if his wormer and cocci tratment was effective..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poop is tannish like dog poop, I found piles like dog piles in their night pen and then little piles of real runny liquid. He doesn't seem to have any consistency, I am going to start him on some Cocci prevention as I know it won't hurt.

The breeder used Di-Methox and she actually said she could send some up as someone is getting some goats from her in my area. I am calling my vet see what he has available now.

The worm cycle sucks...I am hoping that isn't what he has no other goats have any other symptoms.

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
di-methox is good as is Sulmet...I would avoid Corid, its a thiamine inhibitor..Baycox is awesome but it needs to be ordered from horseprerace.com..

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Be aware that if the DiMethox was used in preventive doses, it may not work to treat coccidia.... I used the DiMethox as prevention and still had 1 kid this past spring with an overload, I had to treat with Sulmet to clear her up as the Di Methox did not work.

Feed him nothing but hay and provide fresh, clean water...even add a bit of gatorade to encourage intake, see if he will eat a handful of dry oatmeal (not instant) as this will help bind poop too.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I had a buckling this year with light brown/greenish runs. He gorged himself on wet grass after a rain. Probios fixed him up well, I also gave him B complex and some herbal wormer in case it was coccidia.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be aware that if the DiMethox was used in preventive doses, it may not work to treat coccidia.... I used the DiMethox as prevention and still had 1 kid this past spring with an overload, I had to treat with Sulmet to clear her up as the Di Methox did not work.

Feed him nothing but hay and provide fresh, clean water...even add a bit of gatorade to encourage intake, see if he will eat a handful of dry oatmeal (not instant) as this will help bind poop too.
I will make sure I get both Di Methox & Sulmet to have on hand. At this point I just want to get something in his system I will definitely give him some oatmeal. He isn't having any difficulties eating or lack of desire just runny and soft poop. I did take him off the fresh grass though worried that could be contributing.

Will keep you all posted...waiting to get to the store now and get ahold of my vet!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well nobody local has Sulmet (actually hard to find online too), but I did find a place to order it and have 2 bottles on the way. I have one more place to check that is close to my house but I did get some MannaPro goat electrolytes to give little Yoda as a precaution.

What do you all think about Safeguard for goats? Not the horse wormer, the one actually for goaties? My vet said to use that as he already had the Eprinex.

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
Safe guard no longer works in many areas..Hopefuly some one with your location will chime on that..Valbazen is a better choice IMO...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Safe guard no longer works in many areas..Hopefuly some one with your location will chime on that..Valbazen is a better choice IMO...
I like Opinions...:) what doesn't work for some works for others and vice versus. I haven't bought the wormer yet so I will look for the Valbazen and get it if they have it...default to Safeguard if I can't find anything. Our area specifically where I am hadn't really been introduced to goats so maybe...fingers crossed it would work if that is all I could get my hands on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So update on this...no worries for Yoda. I will start a new thread it wasn't him with the runs it was my buck :(. It was worse when I got home too but I will post that in his thread. Precautionary Yoda was moved and he is doing fine :).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts