Buckling stretching out, hasn't peed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goathappy, Apr 20, 2008.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have a buckling, he's about 8-9 weeks old, on Friday he stopped eating milk. So we thought stomach troubles so we took him out of the buck pen and brought him to the doe barn, gave him a couple remedies and by night he was better and eating.

Same for yesterday.

Today, he is stretching out a lot, I haven't seen him pee or poop since yesterday. He will not stop drinking water, we had to take it away from him in fact because his belly is getting so big. I gave him 6cc of ACV as well as some remedies for UC. Any suggestions? Would I be able to feel a stone in his urinary tract at all? He doesn't appear to be bloated but the water makes him look like he is.

2. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    Hmmm... I would suggest giving him an enama. Fill a syringe with about 10cc water (you can add dishsoap to make it slide more easier... I know some people don't b/c of it not being natural.) gently insert the tip in his heiny and empty the syringe. Hopefully it will get things moving. I've had good success with that.

Also try feeding him some oatmeal... cooked. if he has digestive trouble that should help. I had a doeling about 4 months old with that problem, oatmeal helped.

I would be inclined to say UC, too... but you have done all you can for that.

I'll cross my fingers for you. :)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wouldn't he be a bit young to have UC ? The ACV would definately help if that is the case and as much as you can possibly give him, as far as not eliminating at all....well I would try the enema and unless you are with him, 24-7 he is probably peeing, check the bedding for wet spots as well as check his peep for wetness.....the stretching may be because he wants to poo but is bound up... :shrug:

4. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    You can dry lot him for an hour. Which mean a small pen that dirt/cement that only he's in. If he hasn't peed in that hour start treating for uc. You can also take a cup of water and hold it over his sheath for a minute a couple of times he should pee after that. A lot of the time the stone are at the end were you can feel them and work them out. Hope he's doing O.K. Shelly

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm sorry, but I believe enemas are probably the worst thing you can do for an animal, it is so unnatural.

We gave him a remedy last night for inability to pass urine and this morning he looked less 'inflated' and the hair on his sheath was wet like he had peed. He seemed to be doing a little better, he wags his tail when I pet him but he still isn't eating. I gave him another B shot this morning so we'll have to see how he does. It also looked like he had pood last night too.

Thanks for your help :)

6. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Amonimum Chloride for UC, I think prevention dosage is 1 tsp per animal regardless of age. (which I think are crummy directions, bigger should get more imo.)
    A boy of ANY age can get UC, some are born with them. :( Hope he gets through it.
    I think the HT site had a nice thread on UC and the boys made it.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The ammonium chloride I got from Hoeggars was a 2# bag that I mixed with 15 # of the boys minerals....they eat the minerals freely so I figured the AC was a preventative for them though I have not had an issue with UC.

Sarah, I respect your stand on the "un natural" applications of the suggestion of an enema, but I have had to do this with a 3 week old doeling some years ago, the mineral oil and MOM given by mouth to help lube and help her go, just wasn't working, so the enema was a "last resort" type deal that happened to be a last effort on my part for her. All came out well and there were no issues with this again in the following weeks that she was here.

8. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
  9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I cleaned out the barn today so I got to watch him most of today. He was stretching out most of the day, so finally mom looked up in some herbal books and found that nettle helps with the kidneys and the excretory systems, so we made him a tea and tonight at milking I saw him pee like 5 times and he did poop too. He has started to eat hay again too, but still not milk yet

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thats good to hear. At least he is peeing!

Nettles are some nasty plants. I fell in some when I was little and I was covered! Ouch! But for such an evil plant they have some good medicinal properties!

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I know! I got into it a couple years ago, talk about bad! I was so miserable that summer.

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I got it like ALL the time when I lived in IA, we were in the woods alot. Hey, what is a coutry girl supposed to do in the city?? :scratch:

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Well at least stay away from the nettle! :lol:

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Now what is the fun in that?!?!?!? :question:

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well then you can't go outside for a while if you get a rash from it. :roll:

17. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

we have an ove abundance of them here, and my goats wont eat them unless they are dired.
    beth

19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We just have dried nettle that we got from an herbal place, we just brew it like an herbal tea and give it orally. It worked really great.