The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buckling that I've had since he was 7 weeks old which was a sweet heart has now at 6 months old become the devil!! He has been in rut since I moved him out of my girls pen. He always try's to head butt me on a regular basis. But it's only me he doesn't do it to my boys or husband and I'm the one that takes care of him mostly. Well he keeps getting his head caught in the fence because of his horns. Which I want them off and my husband wants them on him. Well every time I free him he comes after me and is really mad because he thinks I'm hurting him. What should I do? I told my husband I want to duct tape a piece of wood on his horns so he can't get stuck. Does anybody think he will settle down? Or should I sell him after I breed this fall and look for a new buck?

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
319 Posts
let him know who is boss let him know that he cant do that and if he is butting the fence put electric fence around it and he will get the idea.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
its time you teach him whose boss...begin careful of his horns when he comes at you grab a font leg and the opposite back leg and flip him..( never grab his horns, or hit him on the horns) once you have him on the ground, sit on him..just enough weight to keep him down..hold him down until he totally give up..stops fighting to get up and relaxes...then get up and walk away with out a look back...usually only takes once or twice for him to get the message..Again..do be watchful of the horns when doing this.
others suggest a squirt bottle/gun
You can also make a noise stick..take a piece of PVC and fill part way with dry beans and sealing both ends..makes noise and if need be you can donk him one..it wont hurt him but startle him.

As for his horns getting stuck..attaching a piece of pvc pip is lighter weight then wood...be sure it sticks just past the width of his face (wide part) but not so much he gets stuck on everything he passes....always remember a goat in a panic is a danger to himself..

Best wishes

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ugh. I hate pushy bucks. We used to have a big Boer who was always standing up on his back feet challenging me. But he would never do it to my dad or brother. I soon became terrified of that guy!

Now we have a new yearling Buck and he adores me, but is always "accidentally" horning my husband in his leg if he is in the pen with me. I'll have to tell him about the flipping thing!

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
Is he by himself? If he is, he needs a buddy to play with. He is using you as his playmate because he is lonely. You will have to show him who is boss but a lonely goat is a goat that gets into trouble.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree on the buddy. My older buck, who is my favorite goat, started coming after me when I separated him from the girls. I put a wether in with him and he calmed down. Put in another wether and he stopped beating up the fence too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I saw a goat online with tennis balls duct taped on the end of the horns. Kind of like we put them on walkers at my job so they don't catch on the rug so the elderly don't trip. As long as the balls are wider than the fencing spaces. I've also seen foam pool noodles cut to size and taped on.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Pull up on his ear until he screams out. Be careful he doesn't rear up and hit you in the face or chin. Say "Quit" or a word command, Release, repeat if needed. Any caukiness(sp) at all, pull it again. It worked for my big buck, all I have to do now if he is thinking it, is to say "Quit".

I did the flipping thing, doesn't work for long. They will be back at it unfortunately.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Pull up on his ear until he screams out. Be careful he doesn't rear up and hit you in the face or chin. Say "Quit" or a word command, Release, repeat if needed. Any caukiness(sp) at all, pull it again. It worked for my big buck, all I have to do now if he is thinking it, is to say "Quit".

I did the flipping thing, doesn't work for long. They will be back at it unfortunately.
That worked a week with my kinder buck the stinker..... I keep telling myself at least he isn't trying to hurt me..., its just gross though..:(

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Wow , I hope you find something that works for him , that is too scary IMO. Im glad I dont have that problem with Archie or Scout. But never say never I guess......

I would like to try that PVC pipe with my rooster though .....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[QUOTE

I do have a buddy for him but he he just started staying with him last week because he was still nursing. I was leaving his gate open and he would just follow the herd around by the fencing and this was keeping him pretty happy. But he started to get aggressive with me so that's when I started locking him in his area. I am going to try some of these ideas! Thanks everybody for the tips. Today I did duct tape a piece of PVC on his horns though so hopefully that will help with getting stuck in the fence. So far so good!
See photo below he looks so silly!

image-2566005888.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

Attachments

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Aww poor guy , lolol He will just have to learn :)
I may be wrong here , but is that PVC pipe just a tiny bit too long ?
You did a wonderful job Bleyfarm , I hope this and whatever else you try works for you :) Thats a really neat milk stand you have there !

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
yes..a little long..if you have trees or bushes he could get hung up in them..it should be just a little wider than the widest part of his head...Just keep an eye on him..hes a handsome guy ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts