The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bringing a new buckling home Thursday ; He's just shy of 3 months old, she said 25-30 lbs, purebred nubian.

It's a 4 hour car ride and I plan on transporting him in the back of my SUV in a dog crate. I planned on putting down some hay as bedding, and having fresh water available as well as some timothy hay to munch on. This will be the first time I've transported a goat such a long distance in the back of my vehicle. Should I be prepared for him to be pretty loud and upset the entire way? Any pieces of advice?

Once he gets home, I know the travel can really mess up their immune system. Anything you guys recommend to help ward off any health issues? I plan on quarantining him for a couple weeks where he can see the other goats but where he is alone.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I haul stuff home in the back of my SUV all the time :). I'd use something that'll absorb liquid in the kennel not hay. I use old thick comforters. And if it's a wire kennel I'd add a tarp and something under it in case of splatter. Noise wise it depends on the goat some will holler the entire trip and some are happy to lay down and relax.Most of mine have had little interest in eating or drinking.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,618 Posts
I brought some probiotic paste along when I picked up my bucks and had the breeder give that to them before loading up so they had a jump start on warding off diet changes.

I don't know how big your SUV is, but I have a suburban and we just put them straight in the back, not in a crate or anything, but if he will fit in the crate and that's what you want to do that will work just fine too.

I put old plastic tablecloths down and covered everything including the back of the seats and then put straw over that. I agree that water is probably just going to get spilled, but you can offer him some if you stop. Hay too he will probably be too freaked out to eat, but it wouldn't hurt.

When I brought my does home they cried for their mammas a little bit at first, but then were quiet for the rest of the trip. My bucks were silent the entire time. We were quite surprised at how calm they all get in the car. Once you get home though is when it can get loud.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
We transported Bonnie and Clyde multiple times when they were growing up. Mostly in Dog Crates. Like the others, the really werent interested in food or water. We took them out at service stations to let them walk in the grass. I got to introduce what a pygmy goat was to some kids in the city who never saw one before. Mine will lay down and relax, I used to put Clyde in our jeep in his cage facing out the side so he had something to look at. Had a woman in traffic stop beside me and go...im sorry but is that a goat?!?!! I was like yep thats Clyde, his gal Bonnie is over here next to me lol.

·
8,197 Posts
Is he weaned yet? Bring a container and get some water from his old home, so he is more apt to drink it when you get him home. Puppy pee pad with straw or a blanket or towel works pretty good, too.

(This you probably know, but, if when you get there and are at all uncomfortable about the goat, the farm or anything, don't get him. Even though you drove all that way, it's better to waste a day than be disappointed or bring something bad to your herd)

Don't forget the papers if they are part of the deal. "I'll mail them to you" is a bad idea!

·
Fair-Haven
4,738 Posts
Absolutely make sure that you will have papers, or registration application - signed in hand. Double check tattoos from the papers to make sure they match. Check his teat structure - 1x1 and no huge scrotum split, bite. Ask for his health records to date - any cocci prevention, worming, 1st CDT, etc. Have fun - how exciting for you!

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Is he weaned yet? Bring a container and get some water from his old home, so he is more apt to drink it when you get him home. Puppy pee pad with straw or a blanket or towel works pretty good, too.

(This you probably know, but, if when you get there and are at all uncomfortable about the goat, the farm or anything, don't get him. Even though you drove all that way, it's better to waste a day than be disappointed or bring something bad to your herd)

Don't forget the papers if they are part of the deal. "I'll mail them to you" is a bad idea!
The papers thing.... the dexter cattle assoc is my gripe with this! The old owner absolutely has to send in those papers. I was not leavin the place we got ours from without those things cause we did not know those people right? Sent the papers and money in.. returned. I had send them to the guy we bought them from and he had send them in. SO dumb! He had even filled in his part a d signed the stinkin things. Ugh! That ASSoc is gonna be my bane.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts