The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a mini nubian buckling born 11/9/2020. He has been nursing very well on his mom and gaining weight. At birth he was about 6 pounds. At 9 days old he was already 12 pounds. At 7 weeks old he weighed in at 22.5 pounds, so we hadn't had any concerns about his weight, and believe he's getting enough milk from his mom.
We had another doe that lost her baby. When I got her on the milking stand to relieve her udder a bit and avoid it getting too full, he jumped up and just started nursing on her. I was kind of like "ummmm....I guess that works?!" Since that happened every time I get the doe on the stand he jumps up there like it's his business. He still does nurse on his own mom too. I noticed he will now make the rounds on all my other does and see if they will let him nurse. It's kind of funny, but I wanted to make sure this wasn't a concerning or problematic behavior.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That is what happened to me too. I suddenly relised that i could graft kids and lambs on to goats. A few years back i had 55 bum kids and lambs on 12 does.
your buckling will become a problem when he becomes a problem wean him in his own pen

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ya'll! He will be moving in to the boys barn soon anyway. He's started to talk like a buck and get real humpy lol. We have a few Nigerian Dwarf doelings that I don't want him fraternizing with so I might just milk the moms a little bit and give him bottles. I hadn't tried yet, but he literally nurses anything that is near his face (udders, my finger, my child's foot...haha) so I'm guessing he could figure out a bottle easily.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Wow, he is so much bigger!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Today the baby boys spent some supervised time with our buck and wether. The buck was more interested in talking to the ladies through the fence. Our nigerian dwarf wether stepped up to play though! From what I understand, the mini nubian should be about 135 pounds full grown. Hopefully he isn't still jumping on me for goat yoga at that point.
132552818_192681895874247_8708979677670470101_n.jpg

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I'm glad I had gotten a headstart introducing Nova to the boys. Today he peed on himself and left nothing to the imagination as far as boy bits go. How long before my sweet cuddly baby boy starts smelling?? I want to cry lol! He's SOOO sweet! It was difficult, but we moved him over officially today. We're allowing supervised nursing 3 times per day and he is eating hay and drinking water as well. Do I need to keep letting him nurse or cut him off cold turkey?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts