The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age do bucklings meat start to taste bucky. How old would a buckling have to be slaughtered before their meat was 'tainted'?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
ooh...great question! I never thought of this. I have a buckling that's freezer bound, but i'm not sure when would be the best time to do the deed. interested in hearing everyone's answers!

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I think its once they start going into rut but I'm not sure. I've had wether (about 7 months old) and buckling at 6 months and there wasn't any difference in the meat

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
A friend who does her own butchering told me this, the reason the meat taste bad on older bucks is because they dont use different knives to do the kill, the skinning and then the meat..she said each step needs a clean knife not to spread the bucky off the skin..not sure if I said it right but it is how I understand..:shrug:

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
A friend who does her own butchering told me this, the reason the meat taste bad on older bucks is because they dont use different knives to do the kill, the skinning and then the meat..she said each step needs a clean knife not to spread the bucky off the skin..not sure if I said it right but it is how I understand..:shrug:
That makes sense! Also the older the goat the tougher the meat.

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
Yes..we raise hair sheep and are to understand you can go up to two years old with out a change in meat ...we also use to band the rams and they stayed fairly small..we now do not band and they are huge ...not sure if goat is the same or not lol..

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I would say yes... the extra testosterone has to help them grow faster/bigger.

·
14,457 Posts
If it's done right there will be no buckiness to the meat. We had a 2 yr old buck in rut done. He was delicious.

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
Like was said, it is all in the handling of the meat and butchering process. The same goes for all animals.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anything younger will always taste better than an older animal. With our cattle Dad would usually have older cows put mainly to ground meat. Also a good butcher goes a long way!!!! We had a processor swapping out meat. Switched someplace else and what a difference!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts